Dead '98 2WD 5.2L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jessejameslnw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My '98 2WD 5.2L flat out quit on me while driving... I've replaced the fuel pump, crankshaft position sensor, pickup coil, asd relay, fuel pump relay, and even borrowed a PCM from a similar truck to no avail. The truck started after fuel pump replacement with the borrowed PCM then died. Now she cranks but will not start... fuel pressure is 50 psi with the borrowed PCM and 0 psi with my original. No apparent fire, fuses all checked and good. I've read a ton of threads with similar symptoms but have yet to see a single solution which is why I've been tossing parts on it. She's been a rock solid truck and I need her back on the road. Any advise is appreciated.

OP
OP
J

jessejameslnw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My buddy was holding the smart end while I turned the key and he said there was no spark. I just got home from a vacation and haven't messed with the truck in a couple of weeks. I also had to return the borrowed PCM.

OP
OP
J

jessejameslnw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No spark or fuel pressure. I also forgot to mention my scanner would not connect to either PCM.

auskip07

Reaction score
Ram Year
s
Engine
s
check the cap and rotor. Ive also seen some distributor shafts broken on other vehicles. not often but happens.

OP
OP
J

jessejameslnw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was in there to change the pickup coil and don't recall seeing any irregularities but I can check again.

OP
OP
J

jessejameslnw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No power to the coil or the fuel pump. I know the electrical is good to the fuel pump because I was getting pressure with the borrowed PCM.

auskip07

Reaction score
Ram Year
s
Engine
s
No power to the coil or the fuel pump. I know the electrical is good to the fuel pump because I was getting pressure with the borrowed PCM.

so you do or dont have power to the fuel pump?

OP
OP
J

jessejameslnw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's a brand new pump that I know works, but is not coming on with my PCM, so I'm betting it's not getting power. PCM is also not sending power to the ignition coil.

I changed the pump and still had a no start condition. I ran through the fuses and relays... one 10 amp fuse was blown but I honestly cannot remember which one at this point. Went ahead and replaced ASD relay and fuel pump relay for ***** and grins. Nothing. Scanner can not connect to pull codes.

So, knew of another truck sitting at a friend's shop and borrowed the PCM. Installed it and the pump ran, had 50 psi, and the truck started then died and would not start again. I did however still have fuel pressure but no fire. I had to return the PCM, and I'm not getting fuel or fire out of the original.

OP
OP
J

jessejameslnw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I purchased ALLDATADIY for the truck for 5 years (about $50) and by the third no start/no response flow chart, I was advised to change the PCM. (Less than 5.5 volts to the TPS 5V supply terminal unplugged.) PCM ordered $340 from the local Oreillys and an appointment at the local dealer for an $89 flash. Kicker is the PCM has to be installed in the vehicle for them to flash it. I'll update any further info as I get it.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
I would also ohm check the coil. Since the other pcm gave you fuel and no fire it's possible failure of the pcm blew the coil. 11-15k between the tower and either pin

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Perfect. Give us an update when you get the new pcm in whether you're having issues still or not

OP
OP
J

jessejameslnw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sorry fellas. Been busy. Loaded the truck on the trailer, got the new PCM, installed in the rain, and had it flashed at the local dealer. She fired right up and is running good. The tech noted they will run without the flash... they basically just have to enter the VIN. Only problem now is the fuel gauge is inop so I'll be working on that this weekend. (Was fine before all this, let's hope it isn't the new unit) Thanks for all of the advise.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Glad to hear you got it running.

OP
OP
J

jessejameslnw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well. Crap. The truck quit on my wife in September. Once I got home I replaced the PCM again (luckily it was under warranty) and once again she purred like a kitten. Cool. I travel for work so I don't get to drive it much, but when I did the truck was fine. The wife drove it a half mile up the road to get a few sticks of firewood and take the trash a couple of days ago... left it running the entire time and it choked on her when she went to leave. Replaced PCM again and nothing. What in the world could be taking out computers? Any help is appreciated. Thanks. (It's still sitting on the side of the road and I have not been able to diagnose anything.)

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
Check your grounds, something is grounding out I'd bet and taking it out. I had this issue some time ago.

Did you provide any jump starts to anyone recently?

Check your terminals and grounds just for good measure for corrosion my flatbed recently was dying and clicking due to a bad connection on the ground, cleaned up with a wire brush and no more trouble.

OP
OP
J

jessejameslnw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No jump starts lately, the battery and terminals are all new, and I haven't found any loose grounds. Still have yet to get it home to properly assess it.

OP
OP
J

jessejameslnw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Truck has been sitting for over a year now... no luck with anything... just keeps eating computers, and i can't figure out why.