Flowmaster Upgrade on 1st gen Ram 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dodginit71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I am looking to upgrade my stock exhaust to a flowmaster 40 series. How hard would this be for me to do it myself?

Stegs

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
5.2L 318 C.I.
not hard, cut the original muffler out, replace it with new. Measure case of the original and get a new one close to that size

you will need some exhaust clamps unless you can weld.

I would strongly suggest you get something better than a flowmaster muffler tho. They flow like crap, sound terrible at anything more than idle, and they are pretty pricey for what you get

If your on a budget, look into a dynomax muffler, if you can spend a little more than a flowmaster, look into a magnaflow. Straight thru design, packing will never blow out, and stainless construction. Way better sound, performance and flow with a magnaflow for not a whole lot more than a flowmaster

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I would suggest using band clamps and butt joints instead of the slip fittings. I've used the standard u-clamps on my exhaust originally, but when I decided to change things up with different mufflers I couldn't get the exhaust pipes apart. Swapping out a muffler is pretty easy, just need a saws-all and some clamps

Shadow_Death

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Yup, CUT the muffler off. Don't do what I did Sunday. These mufflers are clamped on so tight that even a edge won't knock them loose. Lol

OP
OP
D

Dodginit71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Thanks for the info guys. I ultimately went with the flowmaster 40 series. the sound of it and the benefits that I have seen from it have been worth the money.