How to replace rusted leaking fuel lines?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gte

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 24v
I have a 98.5 5.9 cummins powered Ram with a leaking fuel line right near the starter, is there a kit that I can purchase to replace all of the hard lines near the engine?

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Mostly gasser guys here, guys in the cummins section would know better. But, i would imagine there is based on the popularity of the platform

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
You're going to have a hell of a time finding a direct replacement for those low pressure steel lines. Very few places still have the original pre-bent lines. Only select resellers and large diesel rebuild/repair shops. You will never find them new online.

Reason being, if you want to stay with steel, most shops just half ass it in a patch job, or if you're lucky they half ass the whole line. I really mean do a **** job. I've seen way to many places, even dealers just take the proper (sometimes not) sized steel line in a straight or coiled section and just kind of push it around corners. When they do that they usually ignore all the original hold downs, run lines across sharp surfaces, and sometimes near exhaust components. Only specialty shops, or someone who isn't flat rate will spend the time to properly run the lines so they don't have problems half a year down the line.

High pressure lines can still be replaced with OEM like parts, but all the low pressure lines are being replaced with bent on the spot steel/aluminium or rubber. I'd go with a good marine grade fuel rated rubber line.

Right at the end of my stint at Michigan Kenworth, corporate OKed the use of a nylon plastic type line, almost like what was used for air lines. That stuff was the best, super easy to work with, and durable as hell. Splices and connections were a breeze too. Its more expensive, but in the short time I had to work with it was worth every penny.