I need more power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dram1999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 99 ram with the 5.2 it just seems really sluggish. I have already put in new plugs, wires ,distributor cap, and rotor button. It has the 3.55 gears which I know doesn't help, but I was wondering what I could do to get more power out of it.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
99 has the death flash so a SCT tuner is your first stop, next is plenum gasket then the catalytic converter. After those are done 1.7 roller rocker, headers, M1 intake, cam, heads.

mhylman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
As far as I have seen there isn't a whole lot of bolt on performance parts for these engines. If you got money to spend i believe Eaton's has a bolt on supercharger but you also have to make sure your engine can handle the pressure. You can do small things that give you a slight gain. I personally have a 360 and I installed an electric fan to help take off some engine drag and it does help I also have 4.10 gears front and rear. I also rebuilt my top end, swapped my intake for a welded plunem, swapped injectors for 4 nozzle spray injectors, installed an accel distributor and coil and 10mm wires, and I swapped my nv4500 5 speed transmission for a nv5600 6 speed. Now all I pretty much did was make the engine more efficient at what it already did and it runs extremely well and has a lot of go. For everything you put into your engine you got to make sure it gets out with a well made exhaust I would never recommend running straight pipes on anything, I have dual magnaflow exhaust. you can add headers if you want but on these its not really going to give you anything.