Intake ???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

goodtodoo

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996 indy pace truck
Engine
So I got a 98 or 99 intake and throttle body for a 5.9, Free. I have heard that there are some simple mods that can be done to improve performance, but not sure where to start. I have die grinders and dremel tools. I,m thinking of using the combo on my 96 truck with a 5.9, are there differences between the years that I don,t know about? Thanks jimmy.

Mohpar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
There should be no differences, possibly EGR however? Someone like dapepper could probably answer that.

A good port and polish job would be great if you have the time and since you got them for free. Check out this thread on modding the intake

You can polish the intake runners for better flow. On the throttle body you can cut off the rings that sit around the butterflies and polish the surface where the air flows into the holes. Good thread about that here

All in all you could
1. Modify, port and polish the "keg" style intake
2. Modify and polish the throttle body
3. Do the plenum fix (check the stickied thread) since you'll have the intake off
4. Add some inexpensive headers like pacesetters
5. Add some roller rockers
6. Replace the intake and throttle body gaskets

And you'd have a great setup for only about $800 or less depending
If you do not add the supporting mods and just modify the intake and TB, I woulden't expect the notice a change because the Keg intake isn't that bad at airflow.

Since you already have the tools and extra parts, this could be a worthwhile build without a ton of work and $

OP
OP
G

goodtodoo

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996 indy pace truck
Engine
Thanks Mohpar, awesome stuff there for only my time. Already have good headers and a shaker hood for intake.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Oh. The keg is REALLY bad at air flow lol kegger mod and a 52mm Tb will help it breathe.
94-5 and some 96 have EGR. If yours has egr you'll have to block it off at the manifold so you don't have a leak.
Other than that mohpar got most of it.

OP
OP
G

goodtodoo

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996 indy pace truck
Engine
How do I tell if I have egr ??

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Egr will have a tube on the back going to the passenger side exhaust manifold.

96 will have 2 temp sensor ports whereas the 99/9 will only have 1. You can drill and tap one since it's an extra and if you **** up, no harm no foul really. Can't remember 100% but vacuum ports SHOULD be the same. Other than that you'll be good.

Porting the intake shows hardly anything worth speaking of on a dyno but those that have done it like it for the little extra usable rpm it gives you. Just a better all around drivability throughout the range.

Dodgedude94 himself can attest to porting the throttle body as he himself has done it. Factory blades are 50mm though below it narrows down to 47. OR instead of going through the work to port it for same end of bore diameter you can send it to Hipotek and have them bore it out to a true 52mm or 53mm. Save ya $30 core and their stuff is reasonably priced.

At the same time porting it yourself is pretty much free and kinda fun. Still an improvement over factory.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Unless you have a drill press, same your time and buy one that's already bored out. Mine took me forever.

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
There was a dude on eBay that used to sell modified throttle bodies for a hundred bucks. Unfortunately, he doesn't seem to make them anymore. I was lucky to nab one shortly before he disappeared.

Combined with a fatter y-pipe, my truck's highway manners improved significantly. Before, it felt topped out at around 70. Now, she cruises 80 about as easy.

Well worth the money. Not sure how much an improvement going to a 52mm would be with a factory induction setup.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
There was a dude on eBay that used to sell modified throttle bodies for a hundred bucks. Unfortunately, he doesn't seem to make them anymore. I was lucky to nab one shortly before he disappeared.

Well worth the money. Not sure how much an improvement going to a 52mm would be with a factory induction setup.

There's another guy doing it now actually. I can probably find the link on Facebook somewhere.

It's still a decent addition. MoparManiac (formerly Lifted01) used to run one on his and loved it