My catalytic converter is very clogged! Can I use a cable bit to drill holes in?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Triple Black

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
My truck's cat is completely clogged. The truck won't rev over 2.5k rpm. The truck has no power what-so-ever. I need to drive the truck 100 miles on Saturday to work on it at my dad's shop.

As a test, I removed the upstream o2 sensor to confirm the cats are the problem. The engine revs like a ***** ape without the sensor in the hole, but it sounds down right awful. And I doubt it's even safe.

I never worked with a catalytic convertor before, so I have a question about how tough the honeycomb guts are.

I've come up with a plan is to remove the cat then drill holes with a 3/4" x 6 foot long drill bit entering from the right side exhaust inlet. The drill bit is used to drill into wood behind walls to runs cables. My drill does a great job with it when drilling into wood. I have no muffler as I cut the pipe behind the mid pipe hangers. Any loose bits will just disappear out the back.

Here's the bit:

Klein Tools 3/4 in. x 72 in. Flex Auger Bit-53751 - The Home Depot

TL;DR: Can I use an extra long bit to drill a few holes in the cat?

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
yes but you will never pass emissions and its technically illegal. Plus you will throw codes.

Saseacasea

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
That would work as a quick fix, but hopefully you won't be visiting emissions testing as you will not pass. Just have them replaced.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
It'll go through it no problem. That honeycomb can be busted into billions of tiny pieces with a piece of rebar.

OP
OP
Triple Black

Triple Black

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
The bit is a wood boring bit. You'll burn it up withing minutes trying to drill thru the platinum.

Thanks! I figure as much. I really didn't want to mess up a $40 drill bit. I instead drilled a 3/8 hole in the cat to relieve the pressure. It sounds like ass, but it will get me to Alabama.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Thanks! I figure as much. I really didn't want to mess up a $40 drill bit. I instead drilled a 3/8 hole in the cat to relieve the pressure. It sounds like ass, but it will get me to Alabama.

Wait, what?!?! You're going TO Alabama?!?! ;)

Stegs

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
5.2L 318 C.I.
My truck's cat is completely clogged. The truck won't rev over 2.5k rpm. The truck has no power what-so-ever. I need to drive the truck 100 miles on Saturday to work on it at my dad's shop.

As a test, I removed the upstream o2 sensor to confirm the cats are the problem. The engine revs like a ***** ape without the sensor in the hole, but it sounds down right awful. And I doubt it's even safe.

I never worked with a catalytic convertor before, so I have a question about how tough the honeycomb guts are.

I've come up with a plan is to remove the cat then drill holes with a 3/4" x 6 foot long drill bit entering from the right side exhaust inlet. The drill bit is used to drill into wood behind walls to runs cables. My drill does a great job with it when drilling into wood. I have no muffler as I cut the pipe behind the mid pipe hangers. Any loose bits will just disappear out the back.

Here's the bit:

Klein Tools 3/4 in. x 72 in. Flex Auger Bit-53751 - The Home Depot

TL;DR: Can I use an extra long bit to drill a few holes in the cat?

why dont you just buy a magnaflow high flow cat thats direct fit?

https://www.summitracing.com/search...atalytic-converters/make/dodge/model/ram-1500

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990