Need Exhaust Help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ktm1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318ci Magnum
Last night, my exhaust fell off my truck because the weld broke on the end of the cat. So i had to cut the wires for the one O2 sensor but now my truck "floods" itself out when im cruising along. Is there any way i can bypass the sensor and stop the problem until i get a chance to weld the pipe back on?

Badger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think your problem is from the lack of exhaust not the O2 sensor. But go to autozone and have them clear all the codes in the computer. See if that helps.

OP
OP
K

ktm1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318ci Magnum
I think your problem is from the lack of exhaust not the O2 sensor. But go to autozone and have them clear all the codes in the computer. See if that helps.
well right now the exhaust comes right out of the cat and thats it. the front 02 sensor is still there, but the second sensor i had to cut off so its just the 4 wires but i taped em up to keep em dry. but the truck just floods out when im cruising along. but if i push the clutch in, itll rev up without a problem...

OP
OP
K

ktm1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318ci Magnum
Do you think if i took the wires from the second sensor and spliced em in with the first sensor it would fix the problem??

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Man idk on that year. The rear 02s will cause all kinds of run issues if they are not working or turned off through a tune.

Badger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do you think if i took the wires from the second sensor and spliced em in with the first sensor it would fix the problem??

You could try it. But do it with a snatch block so you can remove it.

iSlacker816

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 (360ci) Magnum
I doubt splicing then will fix your problem, it sounds like since there's no 2nd O2 to compare to #1 it's feeding more fuel thinking its not enough to register on #2. Best bet is to deal with it til u can get it fixed rather than create another problem

OP
OP
K

ktm1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318ci Magnum
yeah, im gonna see if i can have my neighbor weld the pipe back on and then ill get another 02 sensor..

V-10 RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v-10
When you cut the 02 sensor wires you screwed up. First you will have to solder them back. Remember you cut low voltage wires. When you cut them you opened the loop & the computer is not getting a reading from the second sensor & it is calling for more gas.
Why did you have to cut the 02 sensor wires. I guess I'm missing something. All that should of happened was a CEL came on. When I bought my Jeep GC 5.9 Limited the muffler was missing that is all it did.

OP
OP
K

ktm1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318ci Magnum
I dont have a CEL in my truck bc the guy i bought it off off had hollowed-out the cat so the light was constantly on so i pulled the cluster out one day and got rid of the bulb. But i was able to weld the pipe back in place and got a new 02 sensor on there to plug into the harness under the truck. Its all fixed now and working fine.

The only issue im beginning to notice more is that when im stopping at a light, i put the truck in neutral and just coast up to it...but lately the idles been real jumpy and sometimes it even stalls until im completely stopped. Its kind of a weird thing, but if you guys could help me on that thatd be great.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The rear O2 does nothing but monitor cat efficiency unless I've been told wrong a million times.

I believe it to be true, because mine is zip tied to the frame rail (no CEL, truck runs great).

Your rear O2 should have NO effect what-so-ever on the truck running rich / lean.

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
This is true^^. Didn't run a rear o2 sensor for a week or so with no problem. The front one is the must have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
K

ktm1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318ci Magnum
This is true^^. Didn't run a rear o2 sensor for a week or so with no problem. The front one is the must have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Idk how true that is...since mines been screwed up, the truck bucks and spits and sputters unless i have the pedal all the way to the floor lol

V-10 RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v-10
It is not true. What I'm hearing is Dodge put an 02 sensor on for looks. Ha Ha. I don't think so.

OP
OP
K

ktm1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318ci Magnum
yeah, idk haha. but im beginning to notice that when im stopping at a light, i put the truck in neutral and just coast up to it...but lately the idles been real jumpy and sometimes it even stalls until im completely stopped...then it idles fine. And when the truck is cold, it idles as if its got a cam in it lol the idles real rough. its not that the needle on the tach is jumping all over the place, but i can hear it in the exhaust how its idling rough. When its warm though, it runs fine besides that stalling and jumpy idle when im stopping..

MikesRammin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
yeah, idk haha. but im beginning to notice that when im stopping at a light, i put the truck in neutral and just coast up to it...but lately the idles been real jumpy and sometimes it even stalls until im completely stopped...then it idles fine. And when the truck is cold, it idles as if its got a cam in it lol the idles real rough. its not that the needle on the tach is jumping all over the place, but i can hear it in the exhaust how its idling rough. When its warm though, it runs fine besides that stalling and jumpy idle when im stopping..

Sounds like you have a pretty bad vaccum leak. Have you checked the vaccum hook ups on the engine? do you hear it sucking air when its running? check your intake gaskets to see if they are leaking.

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
1996 Dodge 1500 (V8-5.9L) & 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 (5.9L Cummins)
The rear O2 does nothing but monitor cat efficiency unless I've been told wrong a million times.

I believe it to be true, because mine is zip tied to the frame rail (no CEL, truck runs great).

Your rear O2 should have NO effect what-so-ever on the truck running rich / lean.

I can confirm this too my 96 is gutting kitty and no CEL light...

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
1996 Dodge 1500 (V8-5.9L) & 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 (5.9L Cummins)

Could you hook up OBDII code reader and pull the codes for us... I'll look up the diagnostics for it...

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I think it may be an obdII and obdI conflict here. IIRC obdI only monitors the 2nd o2. in OBDII it takes into account the fact for fuel delivery. I know on my 98 o2 unplugged won't run for crap. BUT big BUT if it is removed from the pipe it will sense a difference in air temp and fuel. Therefore adjusting accordingly. That is why most people use the non foulers when eliminating the cat. I though am not sure when dodge made the change from verI to verII. I know my 98 is a obdII. Chevy started OBD II in 95 i think. I may be completely wrong. This is only info that I have gathered from multiple vehicles ranging in brand and model.

But I do agree pull the codes and see what you get.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think it may be an obdII and obdI conflict here. IIRC obdI only monitors the 2nd o2. in OBDII it takes into account the fact for fuel delivery. I know on my 98 o2 unplugged won't run for crap. BUT big BUT if it is removed from the pipe it will sense a difference in air temp and fuel. Therefore adjusting accordingly. That is why most people use the non foulers when eliminating the cat. I though am not sure when dodge made the change from verI to verII. I know my 98 is a obdII. Chevy started OBD II in 95 i think. I may be completely wrong. This is only info that I have gathered from multiple vehicles ranging in brand and model.

But I do agree pull the codes and see what you get.

OBD I didn't have a post cat sensor at all. OBD II monitors cat efficiency with a post cat O2 Sensor. Most of then engine controller is designed for nothing other than assuring the proper performance of the emissions system.