Need help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sam98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So i swapped my motor motor from a 5.2liter to a 5.9 liter Engine and i swapped the ecm to a five nine ecm but my truck still cuts out it idles fine but when going down the express way it cuts out but if i give it more gas it comes back what do i need to do to fix this problem

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Are there any codes? Cutting out like you describe happens to me if I disconnect the PCM for a few minutes. It takes about 5 minutes of running for the PCM to relearn how to idle the engine. I'm sure its not supposed to do that, but I never cared as it was always fine after 5 minutes.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Also I'd suspect the iac from the new engine may be gummed up. I'm going to go out on a limb and assume you didn't do all new sensors

OP
OP
S

Sam98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes

Yes changed tps map n iac sensor plus coolant temp sensor oil pressure sensor nd all new distributor components nd ignition coil come to find out they put 5.2 intake plenum throttle body and fuel injectors

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Those 5.2 parts are exactly the same. You didn'tchange out the whole distributor did you?

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
As Dapepper asked, the distributor.

If you pulled not just the cap and rotor but the whole distributor assembly, it is probably out of time. Unless you re-timed it afterwards.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
As Dapepper asked, the distributor.

If you pulled not just the cap and rotor but the whole distributor assembly, it is probably out of time. Unless you re-timed it afterwards.

Not time but sync. Ignition timing is pcm controlled and he wouldn't have been able to re-time it. Sync is adjustable though and deals with injector timing

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Another possible consideration is the crankshaft position sensor, since I didn't see it among the list of sensors that you replaced. When mine was starting to give out, the engine would randomly stall out on the highway for a few seconds but then start running again.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
Not time but sync. Ignition timing is pcm controlled and he wouldn't have been able to re-time it. Sync is adjustable though and deals with injector timing

You got me on a technicality. Well then, fuel sync. I'll have to remember to use that term.