overdrive question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fubar62172

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've been reading to posts and I have a question about the overdrive button. Am I correct in saying the the feeling of a lack of balls in my 99 2500 is because the overdrive button is always pushed in? If thats so when are the times it should be it should be on and off? Also I'll be pulling a camper in the near future does using the overdrive change then? Thanks for any info
Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.9L Magnum V6
I've been reading to posts and I have a question about the overdrive button. Am I correct in saying the the feeling of a lack of balls in my 99 2500 is because the overdrive button is always pushed in? If thats so when are the times it should be it should be on and off? Also I'll be pulling a camper in the near future does using the overdrive change then? Thanks for any info
Mike

O/D does contribute some to a "lack of balls", but it shouldn't be much. All O/D is at its core is an added gear that's used when cruising at highway speeds to keep engine RPM low, and thereby save fuel.

The general rule of thumb is that O/D should be kept on when doing normal day-to-day driving, but turned off when doing something unusual, like pulling the camper you mentioned or a trailer.

There are guys here with much more knowledge on these trucks like dapepper, maybe he or one of the others can chime in and offer more input.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Hauling, turn it off. Otherwise you can leave it on.

Myself, I like to leave it off unless I'm going above 50. Less shifting and more responsive throttle. The "low power" thing is because of 2 things. Overdrive is a 0.69:1 ratio gear. Pretty nutless (pardon my french). Your transmission also has what's called a "lockup torque converter". Basically the tq converter is a fluid clutch that makes a solid connection with no slip in Overdrive. It also does it in 3rd. Kinda resists a bit of throttle input though it will unlock and operate as it does in lower gears. Does this for several reasons:
1. Longevity- in high gears, overdrive and it's 0.69:1 ratio for example, fluid flow through the converter is very low. Low fluid flow=low cooling ability. Low cooling ability=increased fluid degradation=shorter longevity. I can personally attest to this having run 5 years with no lockup, dual coolers and a gauge and yet still having burnt fluid within 10k miles
2. Mileage- pretty simple concept really. solid connection=less slippage=less engine input to maintain cruising speeds. Engine doesn't have to work as hard. Again, on mine personally, I got my trans swapped out completely (various reasons, old one only operational issue was the lack of lockup) and mileage went from 12ish cruising at 60 to 15.9 at 65. 15 solid at 70, 14.5 at 75. It's wonderful. I feel like I'm driving a v8 prius compared to before.

Any way you can better describe your lack of power? When does it feel weak? Speed?

Also I apologize for late reply, I haven't been around in a while