8 SPD Transmission Shifting Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike Wenrich

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2004.5, 2023 RAM 2500 Laramie 4x4
Engine
5.9 Diesel, 6.4 Hemi
The new 2023 I have is the first 8 spd trans I have driven. The truck is so quiet and smooth I have to look at the rpm gauge to know if I am in 6-8 shifts. A few days ago I tried the manual down shift button on the steering wheel when at about 60 MPH and noticed the RPM going up as expected. Seems there is a button to activate this feature and I deactivated after shifting back up. Or so I thought. After that I noticed the RPM was staying up a little higher than before. Couple days later on a longer drive at highway speed (60-65) the RPM was staying at around 2300 instead of the 1800 or so I expected. Pressed the + button again twice and the RPM dropped to what I expected to see. Since I had started and parked the truck twice during these time periods my question is, will the manual gear setting stay activated even after shutting down the truck?

I'm still trying to understand how this system works and the manual was not of much help. Had to get back into the manual to learn how to set the mirror defrost feature since no button is designated for that. Found a two liner saying if equipped....the mirror feature is activated with the rear window defrost. Probably going to be in that manual many more times to learn the features of this computer on wheels.

SniperDroid

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
It should turn off when you shift to Park. Once back in drive, just press the minus button and it will re activate. If the gear number stays on in the EVIC near the Milage Display, your in manual mode, sort of. When towing, I set it to 8 as the max gear to use, so I can see what gear I'm in. This also turns off the MDS if your engine is so equipped. Just remember, the gear number you select to leave it in is the Highest gear it will shift into.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
It should turn off when you shift to Park.
^^^ this
Had to get back into the manual to learn how to set the mirror defrost feature since no button is designated for that. Found a two liner saying if equipped....the mirror feature is activated with the rear window defrost.
There is also an Auto-On feature that will turn the defrosters on when you either remote start or all starts (selectable) if the temperature outside is below 40°F. Look in the radio menus for the setting.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The new 2023 I have is the first 8 spd trans I have driven. The truck is so quiet and smooth I have to look at the rpm gauge to know if I am in 6-8 shifts. A few days ago I tried the manual down shift button on the steering wheel when at about 60 MPH and noticed the RPM going up as expected. Seems there is a button to activate this feature and I deactivated after shifting back up. Or so I thought. After that I noticed the RPM was staying up a little higher than before. Couple days later on a longer drive at highway speed (60-65) the RPM was staying at around 2300 instead of the 1800 or so I expected. Pressed the + button again twice and the RPM dropped to what I expected to see. Since I had started and parked the truck twice during these time periods my question is, will the manual gear setting stay activated even after shutting down the truck?

I'm still trying to understand how this system works and the manual was not of much help. Had to get back into the manual to learn how to set the mirror defrost feature since no button is designated for that. Found a two liner saying if equipped....the mirror feature is activated with the rear window defrost. Probably going to be in that manual many more times to learn the features of this computer on wheels.
No, it resets every time you put it into Park and/or shut off the truck, then when you start again or put it in "D" you need to reactivate it again. When you start the truck, just set it at 8 and leave it. From that point you can limit it if you need to, but you will seldom need to as the truck is pretty good at doing its own thing.

OP
OP
M

Mike Wenrich

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Diesel, 6.4 Hemi
Okay. I have not seen the gear number yet, at all, though I looked for it. I will be driving it today and search down in the area of the mileage display. Living in the mountains and driving curvy roads it's difficult to look away from the road at the dash. First thing I do when I start the truck is get rid of the low tire pressure display. Have the tires at 45 rear and 50 front. That is making the government tire nannies angry.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Okay. I have not seen the gear number yet, at all, though I looked for it. I will be driving it today and search down in the area of the mileage display. Living in the mountains and driving curvy roads it's difficult to look away from the road at the dash. First thing I do when I start the truck is get rid of the low tire pressure display. Have the tires at 45 rear and 50 front. That is making the government tire nannies angry.
On my EVIC the gears show up at the top of the screen above everything else. I just have the Midline EVIC.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
The 8 speed has the ability to learn your driving style,if you drive it like Grandpa,it'll learn that shift pattern. It doesn't hurt the transmission to be driven a bit aggresively,also helps keep the camshaft and lifters happier to.The worst thing you can do to a hemi is baby it

OP
OP
M

Mike Wenrich

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Diesel, 6.4 Hemi
Thanks. i will look again shortly. Drove it this AM and could not see it but maybe I also need to be in the gauge summary. Also the cluster is different. If I cannot find it I will have my nose back in the manual.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
This is an internet picture, but my Midline Instrument Cluster looks like this. My gears show up right at the very top of the center display screen.

1698610296203.png

OP
OP
M

Mike Wenrich

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Diesel, 6.4 Hemi
Found it!!! As mentioned had to put it in drive and the press the - button. I had been pressing the +. The number 1 came up and then I scrolled up to 8. So now that I know how to get to it I will try this the next time I'm out and about. On mine it is by the odometer numbers as shown further above.

Now I'm on to locating the function that turns on the mirror sound detection for someone on the road passing you. Have the manual out AGAIN!!! looked all over on the 12 inch computer screen but cannot find the settings there. The quick start manual shows it but not WHERE it is for my truck. The small point in the upper mirror corner lights up but kinda worthless in the daylight. May be in the radio manual that is about 1/2 the thickness of the main one. Ain't this fun? Wish I had a 5 yr old grandchild living close by. He/She could probably find everything I need to know.

I'm every day reminded I'm a dinosaur.

SniperDroid

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Blind Spot Detection... look in settings for Safety and Security.

And read the manual, cover to cover, for additional information.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Found it!!! As mentioned had to put it in drive and the press the - button. I had been pressing the +.
Yeah, for got to tell you that part.
The number 1 came up and then I scrolled up to 8. So now that I know how to get to it I will try this the next time I'm out and about. On mine it is by the odometer numbers as shown further above.

Now I'm on to locating the function that turns on the mirror sound detection for someone on the road passing you. Have the manual out AGAIN!!! looked all over on the 12 inch computer screen but cannot find the settings there. The quick start manual shows it but not WHERE it is for my truck. The small point in the upper mirror corner lights up but kinda worthless in the daylight. May be in the radio manual that is about 1/2 the thickness of the main one. Ain't this fun? Wish I had a 5 yr old grandchild living close by. He/She could probably find everything I need to know.

I'm every day reminded I'm a dinosaur.
Me, too.

OP
OP
M

Mike Wenrich

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Diesel, 6.4 Hemi
******...I've already read that manual cover to cover three times and I learn something each time. Have not yet read the other "Radio" manual. But I will look for safety and security as you suggest. Thanks for that and I'm sure I will be challenged over and over again. I was rebuilding a one barrel jeep carb yesterday and thought Jeeez, how easy this is. It's complicated now but safer to drive todays rigs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357