Ticking noise from engine bay

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramthedaughter19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 magnum
I recently bought a 2001 2wd 5.2 magnum dodge extended cab. Ever since I bought it I have had a ticking noise coming from the engine bay. I think it's a lifter but I'm not sure. any help with this problem will be greatly appreciated.

pubsafetyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How loud is the tick? Where is it coming from? You can either use a mechanics stethoscope to pin point the sound or use a length of vacuum hose or similar by holding one end up to your ear and pointing the other end at various locations around the engine until you find where the noise is loudest. Don't let the hose get caught up in any of the moving parts!!!

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Fuel injectors make a tick that sounds similar to the lifters. I've also heard that the timing set can also cause a tick due to slack. Mine is the latter.

It's also possible that your EVAP Duty Purge Solenoid in the engine bay might be noisy as well.