Transmission Shifting problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tdegan9470

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 L
I have a 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 5.2 liter automatic. It doesn't want to shift. When I first start it up and start driving it, it shifts fine. But, after it warms up, it doesn't want to shift. It winds out and wont shift, and then I have to shift it into neutral and then back into drive for it to shift gears. Can anyone please tell me what this could be? I don't have any money to take it somewhere so they can diagnose the problem. And, I don't want to spend money on buying a new filter and fluid if that's not the problem. Thanks for any help.

TheManf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
governor pressure switch and/or solenoid failure. After experiencing similar symptoms to you I replaced them both and it was like a brand new truck. This is after I changed the filter a week prior and still had no difference. Very easy DIY. took me about an hour and fifteen min and $150.

Link I used for info

1998 Dodge 1500 Transmission Wont Shift Fix - YouTube

Emartinez111

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum v8 5.9L
Could also do a band adjustment as well. But if your going to follow his advice. You might as well do a fluid and filter replacement ad
S well as a band adjustment.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

leadrofthepak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The governor solenoid is a common fail part in the 46re. There is a youtube tutorial on how to take it apart and clean it if you are really tight on funds and cannot afford a new one. The governor sensor is replace only, not repairable. I agree with Emartinez, if your gonna be inside the pan you should definitely do the band adjustment.

Demailman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
Look at the governor pressure sensor and governor solenoid. I have been researching this shifting problem because mine is doing the same. Search it on YouTube and there is a guy there that shows you how to do it!

Here is a the link www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqjIH5XXcxg

Last edited:

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Look at the governor pressure sensor and governor solenoid. I have been researching this shifting problem because mine is doing the same. Search it on YouTube and there is a guy there that shows you how to do it!

Here is a the link www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqjIH5XXcxg

Bruh, besides the fact that you're about a year and a half late, there are posts before yours with the same info
Don't :beatdeadhorse5: