Truck Is Shutting Off While Driving Again!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChillyPhil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
As some of you know from DF, my truck has been havin a shutting off problem. So I replaced the iac about a month ago. (Already had a full tune up done a month or two ago. All Summit and RockAuto parts.) Seemed fine until tonight..

Strolling down the road at 10:30 this evening I was coming up to a stop sign. So I let off the gas and started drifting towards it and I realized my radar detector started blinking "Low Voltage, Safe Power Mode" (Cool feature). Then I looked at my dash and my rpms dropped to 0 and my power steering locked up. WHILE DRIVING!

So It stopped and I tried to start it right back up. Kept turning over and made weird noises cause I guess it puts strain on the starter when you keep trying to start stuff. Waited 10 minutes on the road and tried again and it turned, turned, turned, and finally fired. I revved the **** out of it because it wanted to shut back off. I felt bad for the people that were probably sleeping 30ft away from me.. Then after a bit, the rpms stayed up enough to get moving and I made it home. When my truck is running, my voltage is in the middle of 14 and 16 so I'm pretty sure that's normal.

This is a partially shorter version of the story, haha. But now what can I do? I know it'll need a trip back over to the shop but I need to know what part or parts I'll have to buy.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Start by checking the fuel psi at the rail should be 49psi, Check and clean all ground wires, clean batt terminals. What you need is for it to happen again and find out what it is missing at that time, fuel, spark? It could be ckps, cam sensor and more.

Shop so you can get that comp test done then or did you?

Good on you for not killing the starter, I try to never run a starter for more than a count of 15 then stop and let it cool for a bit.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ChillyPhil

ChillyPhil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
Start by checking the fuel psi at the rail should be 49psi, Check and clean all ground wires, clean batt terminals. What you need is for it to happen again and find out what it is missing at that time, fuel, spark? It could be ckps, cam sensor and more.

Shop so you can get that comp test done then or did you?

Good on you for not killing the starter, I try to never run a starter for more than a count of 15 then stop and let it cool for a bit.

Well I'm not sure how to do that so I'll get the shop to. I know the terminals are clean though.

And I was planning on getting the comp test done next week when I have to take it in for servicing. And if it happened again, where would I look? Any specific place? I'll probably just have to get the Dodge guy to look at it at the shop and see what's going on.

I heard some say about the cam sensor causing this but I'm not sure. It can't be the iac because it's brand new.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Hard to say could be fuel or spark.

Op you would need a spark tester of some type, when it goes down pull a plug wires, install the tester, try starting the truck and look to see if it has spark at the tester. Pick a plug wire on the drivers side so you can see it from the side when you are turning it over.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ChillyPhil

ChillyPhil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
What if your crank sensor is losing signal?
How could I tell? If it's cheap, I might as well replace it.

Hard to say could be fuel or spark.

Op you would need a spark tester of some type, when it goes down pull a plug wires, install the tester, try starting the truck and look to see if it has spark at the tester. Pick a plug wire on the drivers side so you can see it from the side when you are turning it over.
Thanks merc, but I'll probably just end up taking it to a shop since there is a guy that does all my servicing and all.

And it don't just shut off when I'm coming to a stop going forward but it does it when I'm in reverse too. It don't throw any codes either.