[95] [5.2L] [4x4] Changing ball joints

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bittiez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
1995 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2L 4x4

Hey guys, I'm working on changing the Ball Joints on this bad boy, so far I have everything pulled off, all ball joints removed and the bottom ball joints replaced, but I came to a stop

I'm following this tutorial How to: Replace Ball Joints - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums (It's the only decent one I found)

It says to put the top ball joints on you need to have an angled spacer, I can see why you need it, however my kit from Oreily's didn't have an angled spacer, is it a big deal to use a straight spacer?

Anyone else have expierience using with these?

The other question is while I have the axle shafts out I noticed the have a fair amount of rust on them(Up until the geared parts), should I try to sand these down a bit while I have them out or just leave them be?

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
I would just leave the shafts be. The ball joints we used just your standard O'Reillys press. Same kit a shop later used as well

N8Vbighorn'98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
When I did my upper/lower bj's no angle spacer needed or came with the ball joint. It was a press in knurled Mevotech bj. Man they seemed to be of really good quality for a decent price. Compared to the junk moogs that were in there already. Moog uses a synthetic material that surrounds the ball stud. So BEWARE... Maybe use the Spicer BJ's that Napa sell under the NCP line. Very similar to the Mevotech I am only using the Mevotech as a trial. Since they have a bigger ball stud and metal on metal bearing housing too.

joepizuro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum v10
Dynatracs seem to be rock solid still!