WHAT THIS PART. 1988 5.2L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PaPitt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
so my Dodge 1988 D250 BUT MINE HAS A 5.2L. iT SPINS OVER BUT NO LONGER STARTS UP OR RUNS.
so WHILE A COUPLE OF FRIENDS & I WERE TRYING TO get it started .. ONE FRIEND WAS TURNING IT OVER & we could see a fLash of light . Like a flash each time it was firing.. This flash is coming from the passenger side of the rear of the motor. .. IT'S MAYBE 3 OR 4 INCHES BELOW THE HEAD ON PASSENGER SIDE. & SEEMS to have a pigtail that comes up into the Plastic wrapped wiring loom crossing from side to side of firewall. & I believe it bolts into the back of the motor or the back of the head. 1988 doesn't have a Crank sensor .
If you know what this is, please .. & If you know either the Chrysler number or one or 2 of the ignition parts numbers . Thanks in advance. We were wondering if it might be fuel pump related. But i DON'T THINK IT IS.
Thanks Again.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

PaPitt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
Heck I can't get up & Back there to see it myself..BUT SURLY there's not but one or 2 items attached to the back of the block ..& going to that one wiring harness going from side to side of the firewall.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Heck I can't get up & Back there to see it myself..BUT SURLY there's not but one or 2 items attached to the back of the block ..& going to that one wiring harness going from side to side of the firewall.

You're talking about a 35-year-old truck and expecting that the members here are so intimately familiar that someone will guess correctly. LOL

In your first post you said;

ONE FRIEND WAS TURNING IT OVER & we could see a fLash of light .

If you saw it, why can't you make the effort to illuminate the area with a light and snap a pic?

It sounds like you're just being lazy and having unrealistic expectations of everyone's ability to guess.

Best of luck to you.

Last edited:

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
You got a bad sparkplug wire. The distributor is in the back of the block. Sparkplug wires commonly come with loom on them.

OP
OP
P

PaPitt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
18 Crew ... No Sir not a bad wire.. Wires are 6+ inches from that spark.. wish It was a plug wire.. But I'd certainly not have post about a wire on here.
...... Just for the record .. The 3 of us looking at that truck that day.. HISTORY. I'm 74+ NOW & I owned a parts store Biggest of 5 in our town from 1967 until 1995+ Then a SuperVisor for an Automotive firm for the next 10 years, Then worked as the Service Advisor at the biggest Diesel Dodge truck dealership in Texas. I wrote Service for 5 or 6 mechanics . We worked on 100 Diesel Truck a week. & About 5 chrysler cars a week.
& The other 2 Guys there looking at that truck . Oldest is about 55 & been a true mechanic since he was about 18 .. Now he & His Helper are the only 2 tech at a used car Sales lot. But they receive cars & pickups from 2 other shops also . So they have both had look of experience. . I'M Expecting that SOMONE on here has had 25 318's AK 5.2L'S PULLED OUT & KNOW EVERY NUT & BOLT ON THOSE MOTORS. I used to know every bolt in a 1975 era 350'S PICKUP. i BOUGHT & FIXED SO MANY OF THEM..
so that why I ask that question. i KNOW someone know what's bolted to the back of the motor ..
But in the COLD BLOWING WIND & In the dark. We could see it flashing down there some where.
& That truck was not parked at my house it was in a back pasture of my farm.. 150ac away from my House. so it was not like it was in my drive way & I was watching TV. IN MY BLOOMERS.
........ & Finally got to talk to my Mechanic Buddy this evening at the feed store .. We're going to shoot for another glimps next week one evening.
I'll post back any info I find, maybe it'll help someone else .
...Thanks In Advance...

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Well, is the coil mounted on the firewall cowl or did it slide out of the bracket and is laying down there arcing out to ground? This makes sense since it stopped running and now flashes when cranked.
I read your background above, but I still have to run through the possibilities.

Take a video or atleast pictures and post here.

OP
OP
P

PaPitt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
I'm Sorry for not getting back on here.. & As everyone says I'm too busy. 75 years old & Still farming or at least checking the cows.. & This weekend I've been checking 2 different neighbors calving cows.. I went to one of my neighbors 5 times yesterday .. & Checked his special DARLINGS. Last time was 3AM THIS MORNING.
& I intended to Burn a huge Brush pile starting this morning .. But I DIDN'T HAVE MY TIME TO STAND around & watch it burn For 20 hours. But we had no wind today & It'd just came a big rain 2 days ago.. & As I say that truck in in the back of my place .. Lot's of gate to open to get there.. We may just go at least drag it back toward the home area.
.......As far as the Coil I'M PRETTY SURE it's still in it's bracket.. Because when I bought the truck Someone had cut & spliced the wire going to the coil... Their splice was worthless so I redid it.. & I remember looking at that splice But it was not touching anything. & Is a foot from the sparking area.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat