99 5.2 no start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

recian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 24v
So a friend brought me a 99 1500 a few weeks ago. It won't start. I've been going nuts figuring it out. I've got spark, good spark (new coil and dist pickup) and it's happening when it's supposed to. Pulled timing cover, lined up marks and set dist to #1. It wants to foul plugs, I've been trying to clear it out by holding pedal to the floor and it will almost fire up but as soon as i let up foot to allow injectors to turn on it dies instantly. After doing this awhile now plugs aren't fuel fouling but they're just dry and black, sooty kind of black. I'm kind of stuck and not sure which way to go next.

Ram digger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 magnum
Did you try a compression test yet, and did you listen to hear if the fuel pump is pressuring up?

OP
OP
R

recian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 24v
I did. 48 psi fuel pressure constantly and compression was around 140. I ended up putting another set of plugs in it and changing the oil. It was at least 3 qts over the mark fouled with fuel. I got it running, synced the crank signal dead on 0 but now it'll bog when you get over 1500rpm due to the converter being plugged from all that fuel that was dumped from the coil being bad :pp:

Ram digger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 magnum
Well at least you got that far bud, could always be worse, gonna hollow out the cat now lol?