99 Ram 1500 5.2L Cruise Control Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ktm1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318ci Magnum
So I bought this truck and happened to be on the highway as I was bringin it home. Decided to play with some stuff, and went for the cruise control... When I pressed "on" on the steering wheel, the Cruise light did come on on the dash. However, when I pressed "Set" on the steering wheel after "on", the truck would not cruise and maintain speed. I also noticed when I first start it when the engines cold, there is what seems like a squeak, or an "airy" sound comin from under the hood. I know its not the belt or a pulley, and it does go away after it gets warmer. Was wonderin if maybe this is a vacuum line leak and could be why the cruise control doesnt work?? Itd be nice to fix it, but then again, I dont really need cruise control. Any help is appreciated!

RamSport97

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Could very well be a vacuum leak somewhere, the cruise control module itself, atleast on my 97, is on the drivers side fender well behind the headlight. You can start there and trace all the vacuum lines. The air squeak sound coming from under the hood on initial start up could be the gasket between the air cleaner and throttle body.

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Sounds like a vacuum leak to me. As Ramsport said the module is under the battery on the drivers side. A pain to get to but that is a good place to start. Most of the lines run to the passenger side of the intake to draw vacuum. Hope It's as simple as a vacuum leak for ya.

txbass06

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
X2 on the air cleaner mounting gasket. I had to double mine up to keep it from sucking air

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
K

ktm1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318ci Magnum
Thanks alot guys! I'll have to look into those things and hopefully I'll be able to find the problem somewhere in there..

ramthis9501

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 V8
On the cruise control, it is most likely the vacuum line running to the module. And I'm with Tony, the gasket may need to be doubled up. Mine is doing the same thing but I haven't bothered fixing it yet.

OP
OP
K

ktm1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318ci Magnum
Thanks guys. I checked out the gasket earlier and it wasnt seated right on top of the throttle body. I fixed that, put the intake back together and started it up and had no more airy sound. As for the cruise control, I'll have to look into that another day and see if i can find the problem. My guess is its a vaccuum line though..