Code reader not connecting to computer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Randrjigs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 HO
I am able to connect the code reader and receive codes ie: cruise control. However, the code reader says that it is not able to establish a connection with the computer on the firewall.
Any suggestions as to why this would be?

2001 2500 ram diesel
Using Snap On Solus Ultra

Thank you.

Jsinclair92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 318
My truck has this same problem, I have a bad PCM and it wont read codes from it. You can do a quick test to find out.

With your truck off, put the key in and turn it on (but don't start the truck), then turn it back off. Do that 3 times repetitively and you should see your codes pop up on the odometer. If I remember right, mine said Bad PCM or something like that.

On our trucks I think its actually called "run" or "accessory" instead of "on" but I'm not 100% sure unless I was out there looking at mine.

Last edited:

Vncnz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check all the wires goin into the plug i had the same problem yesterday and one of the wires was pushing out when i connected the scanner

aofarrell2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L (MDS)
Check IOD fuse, check that battery cables are tight (that'll mess it up believe it or not), check that wires at the OBD2 plug are tight and not corroded, make sure that the PCM mounting screws are not loose, make sure that connectors at the PCM are not loose, check the ground wires that are under the battery down by the cruise control module. Sometimes a scantool refuses to read codes, there is a problem with ground at the OBD2 connector, or a ground somwhere. Otherwise it may be a bad PCM.

The key trick should work as well. Also might be a dumb question but are you reading codes with the key in the RUN position?

Also you can try this. Note that this will most likely clear the codes, so if you can't get the truck to duplicate them again or you don't want to lose them don't do this! Unhook the negative battery cable, turn the key to the RUN position for 30 seconds, to the START position for 30 seconds, back to the RUN position for 30 seconds, turn the key off, then hook up the negative battery cable again and try establishing a connection with the PCM again. What this does is clear the PCM's temporary memory and helps dissipate static electricity.