Engine dies at idle, even with new fuel pump. HELP!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KansasRam1997

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360 Magnum
First, my truck began idling real low around 300-250 rpm along with low oil pressure light. Now it won't even stay running unless I keep my foot on the gas! When I press on the gas pedal the oil pressure goes back to normal range and oil pressure light goes away. However, as soon as I let off the gas it drops to zero and dies.

I thought it was the fuel pump, so I went ahead and replaced that. Replaced air filter. I believe i'm getting good fuel pressure from the pump because I put the fuel line in a plastic bottle, cranked the engine over and a generous amount of fuel poured into the bottle. Also, I tried cleaning my fuel injectors and still the same problem. When I rebuilt the motor (about 400 miles ago) I had replaced the Idle Air Control Valve on the throttle body.

I'm starting to think either 1) my timing went screwey, 2) I bought a cheapo Idle Air Control Valve that got stuck, 3) I need to check the throttle position sensor.

Any comments, questions, or concerns will help. Thanks ya'll!

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Pull the brake booster line and start it. Oil pressure drops like a rock below idle, I wouldnt worry about that. Pulling the brake booster line will allow for airflow despite a bad IAC. If it runs nicely with the brake booster line off, i'd bet on the IAC. One of my old friends from school bought a gen 2, its beat to hell, his IAC was bad, despite my warning of cheap replacement parts, put a chinese IAC in there. What do you know, its bad again.

So now he's driving it without power assist brakes...

OP
OP
K

KansasRam1997

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360 Magnum
Pull the brake booster line and start it. Oil pressure drops like a rock below idle, I wouldnt worry about that. Pulling the brake booster line will allow for airflow despite a bad IAC. If it runs nicely with the brake booster line off, i'd bet on the IAC. One of my old friends from school bought a gen 2, its beat to hell, his IAC was bad, despite my warning of cheap replacement parts, put a chinese IAC in there. What do you know, its bad again.

So now he's driving it without power assist brakes...

I did exactly as you described and it runs smoothly! Those darn chinese sensors, never again! Will post update after putting a good Mopar sensor on

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I did exactly as you described and it runs smoothly! Those darn chinese sensors, never again! Will post update after putting a good Mopar sensor on

Let us know how it goes. A lot of people come here and ask for help and never tell us if their problem ever got fixed.

OP
OP
K

KansasRam1997

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360 Magnum
Let us know how it goes. A lot of people come here and ask for help and never tell us if their problem ever got fixed.

Will let ya'll know this evening. I'm at school at the moment. Thanks, I really appreciate ya'll #RamFam lol

OP
OP
K

KansasRam1997

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360 Magnum
UPDATE: put in the IAC sensor that came stock on the truck, it was still good even though I replaced it with the chinese one last November. My truck starts everytime and runs smoothly... Even feel a little more power from when I cleaned the fuel injectors.

MORAL OF THE STORY: don't but cheapo Chinese sensors. Get a good mopar one. The Chinese one lasted only about 400 miles! Spend more on quality

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Good to hear you got the problem fixed. :favorites13: