Engine swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wickedxj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 2bbl
Not sure if this should go here or in the 1st gen but this has more posts so...I have an 95 D100 Custom with the 727 transmission and the 2bbl 318. I tow with this rig and find it somewhat under powered, but not by that much, surprisingly. The one thing I despise is the 0cfm(160 cfm) 2bbl Holley carb. It is a hateful thing that I really feel restricts power and causes it to backfire when I dump off the gas on the highway. So I want to upgrade, and putting a new carb on is out of my price range as far as I can tell. My #1 choice simply because of installation ease is a 1st gen ram 360 4bbl, but they just aren't out there. However I can find a crap load of 2nd gen magnum engines. I know I will have to do a bit of wiring to get the ECU to work but what my question is; is will I be able to just drop a 2nd gen engine into a 1st gen truck? my main concerns are the bell housing fitting, the starter fitting, the specs of the output shaft being the same, and the mounts, though I could probably weld in some new mounts if I have to. I am also wondering if this would be the same if I picked up a Cummins 1st or 2nd gen. Appreciate the help.

adamwilkes14

Reaction score
What about saving up and getting an Edelbrock Air Gap with an Edelbrock 4bbl? Back when I had my Ford, I threw an Edelbrock 1406 on my 460 after getting frustrated with the POS Motorcraft 4bbl. I have never been a fan of Holley cause of the fact that you have to tune them alot, especially if you run them hard. The Edelbrock is pretty much RTR...

OP
OP
W

wickedxj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 2bbl
What about saving up and getting an Edelbrock Air Gap with an Edelbrock 4bbl? Back when I had my Ford, I threw an Edelbrock 1406 on my 460 after getting frustrated with the POS Motorcraft 4bbl. I have never been a fan of Holley cause of the fact that you have to tune them alot, especially if you run them hard. The Edelbrock is pretty much RTR...

Looking at the budget I would be spending even up to 10 times the amount on something like that than just dropping a new engine in. Even with the usual unseen costs an engine swap is going to be much cheaper.

adamwilkes14

Reaction score
It would be far less than 10x the cost of an engine swap and the headaches of going to a computer controlled engine from a carbed engine would be enough to justify spending a little extra money modding the LA engine. I have experience in doing it with a GM 4.3...it can be a pain in the ass. I mean, you can get an AIR gap manifold for $270.00 than around $375 for the carb...

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
get a crate 360 and a nice mid range carb and be set. My GF was looking at replacing her LA360 and found long blocks for under $2000

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990