Rebuilding Tranny Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CoachPlato

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 Magnum 5.9L
Im about to take out my transmission and try to rebuild it, however, I can't get the drive plate to rotate to take the 4 bolts out holding the torque converter to it. I have a manual and it says for me to spin the driveshaft clockwise to get it around to take out the bolts, but that doesn't turn my torque converter. What can I do that doesn't involve a sledge hammer and anger?

1999 dodge ram 1500 V8 Magnum 5.9L
46RE transmission

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Welcome to Ramforum!

If you have the inspection cover off already I used a screwdriver to turn the converter. If the driveshaft is still attached there is a problem. I just pulled and rebuilt mine. The screwdriver can turn the converter/flywheel its just very slow but it works.

OP
OP
C

CoachPlato

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 Magnum 5.9L
That did it, but I used a crowbar to get a longer arm for leverage at first till I could get it around enough to get a screwdriver in one of the openings. Yes, very slow turning, Thanks!

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Very welcome. Yeah I know its super slow turning. Took me a while to get all my bolts out and some cursing here and there. If you have any other trans questions let me know be glad to help!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jems007