Sputtering Ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iroll1800

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
I have seen various threads about this issue, but none seems to precisely address my problem. I have a '98 Dodge 1500 4x4 with 220k miles on it. Not long after I bought it, it began to sputter when I accelerated. At its worst, it would clunk, knock and have virtually no power. Initially, a local mechanic thought it was the gas tank, which had vibrated almost completely loose and was in danger of falling off completely. So he fixed that, and it was fine for a while. Then it started doing it again. Now it does it almost all the time, especially going up a hill. If you give it a lot of gas, it goes away and the truck will run fine at full speed. It seems to be worse in the warm weather. it always starts fine, and idles ok. A few months ago I began shifting it out of OD since we almost never use it on the highway, and the roads around here have mostly 45mph speed limits. That hasn't altered the behavior any.
Here's what I've done so far: replaced distributor, but not the rotor, new spark plugs and wires and replaced much of the wiring in the engine bay.
As soon as I can figure out the best way to get the old stuck-on rotor off, I will, but that doesn't seem to relate from what I've read elsewhere.
So any thoughts would be most helpful. Thank you.

OP
OP
I

iroll1800

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
One more aspect

Would bad compression cause intermittent problems? Because this issue is definitely intermittent, sometimes not occurring at all for long stretches.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990