Swap body's or engines?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Daniel_cogar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Hi, I'm new to the forum. I have a 1999 ram 2500 with a 5.9 cummins five speed, my issue is that the body is rusted out bad, fender arches, body mounts, doors, bed. Pretty much every body panel. I recently bought a 1998 ram 2500 same body style with a 5.9 magnum in it which has a bad transmission. But is a Florida truck and is solid no rust what so ever, my question is what would be the better route to go:

1. Swap all body parts to my chassis?
2. Swap my engine and transmission etc. to the other chassis.?

Thanks in advance -Dan

bassslayer25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 V8
Hi, I'm new to the forum. I have a 1999 ram 2500 with a 5.9 cummins five speed, my issue is that the body is rusted out bad, fender arches, body mounts, doors, bed. Pretty much every body panel. I recently bought a 1998 ram 2500 same body style with a 5.9 magnum in it which has a bad transmission. But is a Florida truck and is solid no rust what so ever, my question is what would be the better route to go:

1. Swap all body parts to my chassis?
2. Swap my engine and transmission etc. to the other chassis.?

Thanks in advance -Dan

Swaping all the body parts would be the easiest route. But its all a matter of do you want the 5 speed cummins or the auto gas?

OP
OP
D

Daniel_cogar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
5 speed cummins is what I'm wanting to keep just with the body that the 5.9 gas has lol

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
swapping bodies seems like it'll be the easiest route since as along as your frame isn't rusty too.

OP
OP
D

Daniel_cogar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
my frame isnt too bad, although it isnt near as clean as the gas trucks frame

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The thing about swapping the cummins into the gas truck body is that the suspension and axles are not set up to support the weight and torque of the diesel. I agree that swapping body panels are easier, therefore unless the frame on the cummins is really bad (super rusty) then I would do as these guys suggest and swap the body.