Weird A/C Compressor Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

XxJamesAxX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 V8
Ok guys i cant figure this one out hopefully someone can help,

When i start the truck the compressor kicks on and blows real cold air 42-44 degrees, but if for some reason you shut the air off after about 15 min or shut the truck off and restart it the compressor wont kick in. Kicker is though I've drove the truck for 30min plus without shutting it off and it does fine. It's only when you shut it off and restart it.

I've cleaned all connections and replaced the a/c relay switch with no help.

I hooked up a/c gauges and am getting Low: 87psi without the compressor running and 55psi with the compressor running. Apparently the gauge for the high side is not working though so i need to get another set and get a more accurate reading there.

Any info would be much appreciated im taking a 2hr plus trip next week and would like it have this figured out.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
X

XxJamesAxX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 V8
Forgot to add if i shut the truck off for 30min or so I can repeat the cycle, it will work fine again until i shut if off and try to start it back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
X

XxJamesAxX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 V8
Drove the truck in this morning and after about 15 minute with the air on the compressor kicked off on its own and wouldn't kick back in, I'm thinking its time for a new compressor. It's hard to tell but sounds like there may be a little noise coming from it.

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
Might be you have too much freon inside it? compressor I believe should only kick on when pressure is too high?

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Compressor kicks in when you turn ac on. Ac not just air. If it's not turning on after you shut down I'd likely assume that the ac clutch on the pulley is sticking after it disengages.

Sadly you can't just order a new clutch for cheap on these things you have to order a whole new compressor.

Edit: you could maybe check a dealer to see if they have it as a specialty part. Take it to a shop tho or else you'll release all that **** into the atmosphere and is pretty toxic too. They can vacuum it out, change the part, vacuum tthe air out, and recharge it for not all that much really. On the high side I'd estimate $200

Last edited:

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Your low side pressure with the compressor off is way too low, should be closer to like 130psi. Does the compressor suck it down pretty good when you rev it up? It also almost sounds like your clutch coil is out.