What Fluid for 99 5 speed transmission?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MNBiker

Reaction score
Ram Year
98 and a 99
Engine
318 and a 360
I was thinking it is time to change the tranny fluid in the wifes 99 Laramie with the 5 speed manual. Does it take ATF+4 or something else? How much?
Thanks in advance!

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My '99 Ram took the equivalent of Synchomesh.
I used the Royal purple variant and had wonderful results.

If you haven't changed it in a while, I suggest 'flushing' with some clean fluid (leave the drain plug out and run a quart through it)

I was amazed how dirty the flush fluid was.

OP
OP
M

MNBiker

Reaction score
Ram Year
98 and a 99
Engine
318 and a 360
Good deal. Thinking I will try the Royal Purple. Thanks!

OP
OP
M

MNBiker

Reaction score
Ram Year
98 and a 99
Engine
318 and a 360
Another question...picked up 4 quarts of Amsoil syncromesh. Crawled under the truck yesterday to do the change. The drain and fill plugs need a large allen wrench to remove. I didn't have one large enough. Anyone know what size it is? Thanks!

OP
OP
M

MNBiker

Reaction score
Ram Year
98 and a 99
Engine
318 and a 360
Thanks a lot. I did some more searching and yes it is 17mm.

OP
OP
M

MNBiker

Reaction score
Ram Year
98 and a 99
Engine
318 and a 360
Figured I better update this! The tranny was starting to grind quite often going into 4th gear. Mostly when downshifting from 5th to 4th. I changed the fluid out to Amsoil Synchromesh. First test drive it was better but still grinding. After a couple hundred miles of driving the grinding is totally gone! Amsoil gets my vote again! Oh, and for the allen wrench, the parts store wanted $23 for one. Went to the hardware store and pick up bolt with a 17mm head and a nut to match. Welded the nut to the bolt. Worked perfect. Cost...about $1.