will not go in park

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bob g

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2l magnum
I'm a newbie to this forum, a fair back yard mechanic but I cant figure this out. I have a 2000 1500 5.2l magnum with AT. A while ago it decided it was not going into park although it will start in neutral, I can get it in park by pulling up on the shifter and wiggling the key. Ive taken the key cylinder and the ignition out, all of that seems to work fine. I think I have a bad neutral safety switch, a linkage problem (although nothing has ever been done to it and it all appears to be in original position) or something inside the tranny. Suggestions?
Please help!!

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
I would have to say you need to adjust the shift linkage, as you can get it into park/start by lifting the shifter.

OP
OP
B

bob g

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2l magnum
I found out that the push wedge had fallen out and was lodged in the inside shift linkage. apparently i can reinsert it where it belongs and tighten the bands to 7.2 inch pounds, then adjust the push rods, one 2 turns and the other 3 turns. however, i watched a utube video on how to remove the valve body pack, which looks pretty simple, but i dont know anything about tightening the bands or adjusting the rods. apparently its easy. I also need to replace the pressure switch solenoid pack. any instructions?

rowdyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
I found out that the push wedge had fallen out and was lodged in the inside shift linkage. apparently i can reinsert it where it belongs and tighten the bands to 7.2 inch pounds, then adjust the push rods, one 2 turns and the other 3 turns. however, i watched a utube video on how to remove the valve body pack, which looks pretty simple, but i dont know anything about tightening the bands or adjusting the rods. apparently its easy. I also need to replace the pressure switch solenoid pack. any instructions?
Push wedge? In the rooster comb? I'm not completely sure what your saying but adjusting the bands won't fix your problem if I understand correctly