Am I crazy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

USMC1188

Reaction score
Ram Year
None
Engine
Truckless...
IDK man, I see both point. You are crazy.... period, lol.

BUT, at the same time, I have considered it too(but have luckily talked myself out of it), because some of those 2nd gens are pure sex.

I still wouldn't do it though. You have done way to much to personalize that one and make it yours, and I think you'd be kicking yourself in the ass as soon as you saw it in your back window as you drove away from it for the last time

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Trade ya! :p

I think if you did get rid of it you'd be kickin yourself wonderin why haha

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It is a common thought of mine. I'm just so upside down on my 2011 there is no way I could get out from under it.

I miss having my '00 Ram that was paid off. That was really nice!

All said and done, I think you'd just end up doing all the same work 2x on the new truck. And finding a clean rust free Gen II is getting to be quite a PITA.

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
When I sold my 2nd gen CTD I was sad but it's just a truck.
I am on my 4th 2nd gen. Had 2 3rds

I just like the 2nd gen better.
And I also like having no payment. That is why you will never see me in a new truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
schroederMP

schroederMP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Mopar man and Dave...your not helping lol true on the injectors, and everything. It sucks.

I guess I'll sit on it for awhile. I know I'm not upside down on here so if I ever run into money problems I can sell it and make a profit and get a second Gen.

Man some of them 2nd Gen are nice

Sent from my phone when I'm supposed to be working

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
1996 Dodge 1500 (V8-5.9L) & 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 (5.9L Cummins)
Ok... Let the pockets talk then... When you buy a CR engine you got to replace injectors say every 100-150K miles on average depending on if you upgraded the fuel system and filter system. Say you keep the truck for 500K miles... So now you would change injectors 3 times at a minimum cost of say $2,500 bucks so you'll spend $7,500 in just fuel system maintenance. Now if you decide that you going to try and stretch the limit of the injectors and you finally wipe out the rings and cylinders now you looking at a short block replacement.

Now comparing back to a 24V 2nd Gen you spend maybe $1,200 for VP44 injection pumps. Keeping the same time frames I would buy 3 injection pumps at a $3,600 total for a 1/2 Million mile truck. At least when a VP44 fails it doesn't take out the cylinder and rings like CR engine are prone to do.

Ok so I bought a Edge Comp and a set of RV275 Injectors and produce more power than a 2012 6.7L Cummins. More reliable, no smog equipment, parts and pieces are available anyway a fraction of the cost of any CR engine!

Like Ramhunter I will not be caught dead buying another new truck or a CR Cummins. Mine is also paid for too. If I was to buy another Dodge Truck it would be either a 1st Gen (1989-1993) or a early 2nd Gen 12V (1994-1998). But I wouldn't waste my time fighting with CR...

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
Mopar man and Dave...your not helping lol true on the injectors, and everything. It sucks.

I guess I'll sit on it for awhile. I know I'm not upside down on here so if I ever run into money problems I can sell it and make a profit and get a second Gen.

Man some of them 2nd Gen are nice

It just the truth of the diesel relm... Don't be blinded by the fact of the 3rd Gen cab is comfy when the engine under the hood will cost you more to keep up. I rather for go some comfort to gain longevity.

Lot of comment here telling you your crazy or batty... But there is nothing behind those comment take note. But when Dave and myself posted with posted with information and why suggest the way we do. Dave works on trucks daily and so do I in a virtual sense.

Last edited:
OP
OP
schroederMP

schroederMP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
^^^ Well put...thank you. Looks like i have some thinking to do.

I love my truck and I LOVE the 3rd gen style. I really don't plan on putting half a million miles on this truck but I don't really know.

And the injectors I'm not really that worried about...its part of it I guess. Plus with added power I may switch injectors faster than normal.

The only thing that killing me is find 2nd gens in good shape around here...there just isn't any. And if they are...they are wanting more for them than what my 3rd gen is worth.

Moparman, you have a solid arguement sir

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
Moparman, you have a solid arguement sir

Thank you...

This knowledge comes from all the people I come in contact with. Listening to all the people :banghead: and try to figure out how to get back out of the mess they got in to.

Matter of fact I got a guy that bought a 2nd Gen and got all **** off because the truck was unstable. VP44 failures, starting issues, etc. Instead of diagnosing the issues he's sell the truck to get out from under the headache.

Personally I this this is really lame because now he sold the 2nd gen for cheap and jumped into a 07 Duramax... LOL! I told him to go out and study up the CR engine fuel injector and prices. All I can do is laugh my **** off at him after I get off the phone. Because he thought 2nd Gen was nasty truck... I'm waiting to hear him howl when he get hung with Duramax with CR fuel system issues.

Seriously no matter what vehicle you own there is going to be a weakness. Its up to the owner to study up on said weakness and learn how to prevent them from occuring. But remember even thought you might think you cover all your bases for said weakness does mean it won't eventually wear out or fail. Kind of like I've done everything I can for my VP44 I'm doing good but I've got no idea when or if it will fail suddenly. But I know I've done my best to protect it. So in your case with the CR engine I would study hard and long about it and learn all you can. Think outside the box too be willing to try different things to hopefully extend its life.

So if you hang tight with your CR then I would start using a fuel lubricant (2 cycle oil), upgrade filters system to 2-3 micron filter, and may a better fuel lift pump. That should help...

But if you deside to jump the fence and come home to the 2nd Gen's I'll guide you the best I can to a long life truck!

Last edited:

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
Clap , clap , clap ... well said

OP
OP
schroederMP

schroederMP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Standing ovation!

I've upgraded to a dual filter airdog. About to go with a oil bypass system. I use 2 stroke religiously. I have 5 aftermarket gauges to monitor my engine. I have an excel spread sheet tracking every maintenance thing I do...all the way down to the last time I drained my water seperater.

I'm doing everything I can to protect my engine...with the help of this forum, moparmans sight, and the internet, I've learned a lot and have read till my eyes bleed. Lol

Thanks again...both 3rd and 2nd Gen have there strong and week points. Just all gonna depend on which ones I wanna deal with lol

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
Thats the spirit ^

Ya gotta know your engine .. thats what is boils down to . I knew my CTD like the back of my hand . With help from Mike I learned ALLOT , and come to find out a CTD is 100x easier to work on and understand .

OP
OP
schroederMP

schroederMP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Ha yea I bout my truck knowing nothing about ctd... Except for they didn't come with spark plugs. Now with the help of what was already mentioned...i know my engine better than I knew my hemi. But I've still got a lot to learn.

And a lot more things to buy from this guy I know with good deals

Sagebrush2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You're crazy but I'm probably crazy too, so no big deal. I ran up 140,000 on my 2nd gen Ram before giving her to my brother. I don't much mind the 2nd gen interior - but I like stuff that's old, especially remembering whenever that was the most slick and modern interior look of any pickup truck (18 yrs ago).

Heck, I'm the one trading a perfectly good 2010 1500 for a new 2500 so I can shift gears!!!

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
Clap , clap , clap ... well said

Standing ovation!

I've upgraded to a dual filter airdog. About to go with a oil bypass system. I use 2 stroke religiously. I have 5 aftermarket gauges to monitor my engine. I have an excel spread sheet tracking every maintenance thing I do...all the way down to the last time I drained my water seperater.

I'm doing everything I can to protect my engine...with the help of this forum, moparmans sight, and the internet, I've learned a lot and have read till my eyes bleed. Lol

Thanks again...both 3rd and 2nd Gen have there strong and week points. Just all gonna depend on which ones I wanna deal with lol

Why mess with the best when the best don't mess...

Mopar1973Man ->
smiley-hug006.gif
<- Ramhunter9

Thank you Ramhunter and schroederMP...

As for failure points there is a new one that was brought to my attention. When you see trucks that are losing electronics on a frequent schedule you might take a look at the alternator and the possibly of shorted diodes that are bleeding AC wave form into the electrical system. I'm finding this a very common problem but most of the time its over looked because the alternator is still charging but not in DC but in AC. Drives the computers crazy TQ conv lockup issues etc..

Last edited:

infernoredram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
With my towing gig, I've used a couple of 24V's... Those are some bad ass trucks. You can feel the reliability when towing, and I now know why Dave and mopar man speak so highly about them. Now I wouldn't go and trade my CR in for a 2nd gen, but if I had the cash for another vehicle I'd definitely be in the market for one of those

Nickxxxr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I got nothing worth while to add, except

I really wish i had a diesel...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
I got nothing worth while to add, except

I really wish i had a diesel...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

You welcome to join the family anytime you wish... If you want to just hang around and learn you can we'll teach anyways...

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
Consider yourself signed up... :naughty:

Now ask plenty of questions or get :Wedgie:...