Advice on what is needed to remove scratch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dirtystick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum
So my wife was driving the truck on a small road and a car was coming the other way. She moved over a little, but a storm had blown a tree limb just far enough it drug down the side of the truck.

The scratch isn't through the paint and I think it would buff out I just don't know what I am doing here and last thing I want to do is make a barely visible scratch.. well to me I see it when all the time.. even worse.

What products or steps should I use and do to either remove or help reduce the scratch standing out?

FYI the wife feels really bad and wouldn't touch the truck for several weeks after it happened.

BMRbrnSNRbrd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Dodge Ram 1500 CC Hemi Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What have you tried so far? If it were me I would start with a good wash and then a hand wax to see if it's light enough to come up easy.

OP
OP
D

dirtystick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum
I did a light rubbing compond then used some turtle wax.. unfortunately the wax is about a year or 2 old so it didn't do much. It did lift it some, but you could still see it. Since it is starting to warm up I am going to do wash and detail it since I just get it a couple months ago. This way I can get it cleaned up, waxed up and clean up and *ahem* scuffs.

AF_Hemi

Reaction score
Central Jersey in person, the burgh at heart
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 Sport
Engine
Fukken wax wont help this situation one bit. Its good stuff, but its a waterless wax, not a rubbing compound, scratch remover, or miracle worker. For the record, the fukken wax vs. paint scrapes is very misleading. the "scrapes" were rubbed off from the other vehicle and they were sitting on top of the clear coat/paint. All the fukken wax did was break it up a little bit so it could wipe off. Most waxes/cleaners would have done the same thing.

I'll move this to the "Detailing" section so it gets more looks, but you're on the right track with rubbing compound. Use the rubbing compound (not just scratch remover) to remove the scratches and scuffs. Once completely gone, use a polisher then a sealant/wax.

AWE Daniel

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yup rubbing compound and maybe a little wet sanding outta help it out.

adamwilkes14

Reaction score
Yeah, I have scratches on the sides of my bed and the Turtle Wax Rubbing Compound took 75% of the off when I used it yesterday. The only ones it wouldnt touch are the ones that are through the paint. I need to find some touch up paint for those.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990