Looking for help on product advice for paint correction (PICS INSIDE!!)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheCloser6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I recently became the recent owner of a distressed 05 Ram 1500. Im looking to bring back some life into the paint, but I just dont know how to deal with some of the paint issues the truck has. My driver front panel has an OUTRAGEOUS amount of swirl marks and the clear coat has seemed to have come off, making it feel rough and dull. Its almost as though someone tried to sand that panel with too rough of a grit, best way I can describe it. Also, the bed rails have some sort of rustoleum bed liner material on them, I have no idea how to even attack those. Not too mention the few scratches and the white paint spots that wont come off, not even goo be gone works.

Im at a loss boys, but hoping you guys can point me in the right direction to getting the appropiate products and tools to make her shiny again. Pics are down below to have a looksie at the damage. Thanks in advance.

05_Ram_driver_2.jpg
[/url]
20160402_095021.jpg
[/url]
20160402_091306.jpg
[/url]
05_Ram_driver_1.jpg
[/url]

RAMblin1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Beer goggles? I think you're pretty much beyond correction and at the stage of having to repaint. You could try a crazy cutting pad and polish on a power buffer on that fender but if the clear is gone it seems like it would only make it worse. I can't think of a single thing besides repainting everything that can save that. Not trying to be rude, I truly hope someone with more knowledge chimes in with good advice for ya.

OP
OP
T

TheCloser6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's what I was afraid of, for the two tone I'm sure upwards of about 3 grand?

Any thoughts on plasti dipping the truck? Seems to be a new trend.

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
Is yours a Laramie? Im in the boat with you, I had a body shop do the work on my truck when I was rear ended and had bad clear coat, but wouldn't stand by their work and the clear is coming off the cab and bed.

Plasti Dip is "ok", but I recommend stay away unless you do it right. I personally don't like it becauseit doesn't hold up very long if you dont baby it.
Sent From 1 of Many Devices

Last edited:

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
sorry to say from a clean freak you will DEFINITELY need to paint your truck.

Reaction score
Why not bed liner maybe? I'm doing it to my 08 1500 but I'm going for a rugged look

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

samuelscreech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Looks like someone took a brillo pad to it. you can wet sand out the bottoms with 2000 grit and buff it back up. the clear is baked off the top edges of the bed. I would tape it off at the pin stripe, sand it down and repaint or bedliner it.

OP
OP
T

TheCloser6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My thoughts are possibly getting it professionally dipped in the matte black, hang onto that for a year or so and save up for a quality paint job seeing as though the current paint is blown beyond repair.

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
You'll definitely be able to bring that up to a decent looking finish. It may not be perfect but it will be a whole lot better than what it is.

Depending on how deep the scratches are you may or may not need to wet sand it; hard to tell from the pictures. However, exactly as Adam's suggest above, their orange foam pad and paint correcting polish will bring that right out.

I'm in the midst of doing some paint correcting work on my '65 Nova. Wet sanded the front fenders down to get rid of the orange peel and some other imperfections and then polished it up last night with A Flex 3401 VRG polisher, Adams orange foam pad, and paint correct polish. Here's the results so far. That's just paint correcting polish; haven't done finish polish, sealant, or wax yet.

02C429F4-14E5-48CB-8487-3C838A20911E_zpstcaooy9u.jpg

It's amazing what you can do with some good products and tools. Adam's products will definitely get you there; best stuff I've ever used by far.

hdbiker1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi5.7
Not to be negative, but when the clear coat is either flaking off or burnt through the only thing that will bring it back is to repaint.

CMil527

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 RAM 1500 LARAMIE-CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You'll definitely be able to bring that up to a decent looking finish. It may not be perfect but it will be a whole lot better than what it is.

Depending on how deep the scratches are you may or may not need to wet sand it; hard to tell from the pictures. However, exactly as Adam's suggest above, their orange foam pad and paint correcting polish will bring that right out.

I'm in the midst of doing some paint correcting work on my '65 Nova. Wet sanded the front fenders down to get rid of the orange peel and some other imperfections and then polished it up last night with A Flex 3401 VRG polisher, Adams orange foam pad, and paint correct polish. Here's the results so far. That's just paint correcting polish; haven't done finish polish, sealant, or wax yet.

It's amazing what you can do with some good products and tools. Adam's products will definitely get you there; best stuff I've ever used by far.
wow thats crazy!

OlBluRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Man, I have a feeling a new paint job is in your future. Plasti-Dip, wrap, paint or live with it seem to be your options at this point I think. Bedliner in the bed and wrapped over the rails will cover where you have lost clear coat and some of the base coat on the bed. You may be able to revive the fender if the clear coat isn't wasted I.e. Peeling, flaking or speckled and gone like the top of the bed rails.
I've seen the issue you're having with the clear coat, it seems to be more common with the black trucks for some reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OlBluRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I have a 73 Dart Swinger you can polish next [emoji16]

miraj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Pics after finishing fix ?

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

yrral

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine