Looking for suggestions Black Paint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
New 2023 Limited in black.
What have you used for paint protection? I know black is difficult to keep but I want to get ahead of it from the start. Ceramic coating is expensive. Has anyone done the spray on ceramics? Griots, Nexgen? Which one did you use and how did it turn out? Thanks

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I use Nexgen. It works fine for what it is. It only lasts a few weeks so I reapply it every couple of months from spring through the end of fall. But just to be clear, ceramic coatings aren't going to protect your paint against things like rock chips. The main benefit I see is the vehicle is easier to keep clean. Bugs are easier to clean off, and it looks cleaner after going through a touchless car wash. If you really want to protect your paint you should look into paint protection film (PPF). It's expensive, but if you're planning on keeping your truck for a long time it's probably worth it.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have had 2 black Ram 2500's in a row. Love the way it looks, but they are more work to keep looking good. I'm liking the Mother's CMX ceramic coating. I clay barred my new 22 Ltd Longhorn the first time I applied it, but there was no benefit to that on mine. I'll do it again down the road sometime. I have applied PPF to some of our other vehicles, and it works well, but doing a whole truck is a lot more than I want to take on.

aces-n-eights

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would check out the product discussed in this thread...

It sounds like a great, long-lasting coating for a good price and is DIY.

zrock

Reaction score
using the store purchased ceramic coating only lasts a few weeks to a few months if your lucky. The coating you have done professionally lasts a lifetime or so they say. My local shop gives a lifetime warranty on their coating and its around $600-$800 if memory serves me right.. I think im going to go that rout soon as i spend a full day every time i do it and my time is worth something. Like most things you get what you pay for..

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I'm skeptical about any claims of a ceramic coating lasting a lifetime. The best I've heard of is a couple years. Even PPF doesn't get a lifetime warranty. How long has this shop been in the business of applying ceramic coatings, and who makes the product they use?