whats the difference in polish and compound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cableguy_hd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 2500 CTD
Engine
6.7 Cummings
Like the title says.. I've been watching some videos and was wondering. Off for 5 days and want to wash and wax truck and do it right

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Are you asking the difference between polish and rubbing compound? Polish is very lightly abrasive is good for cleaning up any maring you get from the clay bar And will fix some swirls. Deeper clear coat scratches will need a rubbing compound witch is more agressive then a light polish and wax/seal. To do it right do a good 2 bucket wash, clay bar, polish, then wax or seal.

OP
OP
cableguy_hd

cableguy_hd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 2500 CTD
Engine
6.7 Cummings
Are you asking the difference between polish and rubbing compound? Polish is very lightly abrasive is good for cleaning up any maring you get from the clay bar And will fix some swirls. Deeper clear coat scratches will need a rubbing compound witch is more agressive then a light polish and wax/seal. To do it right do a good 2 bucket wash, clay bar, polish, then wax or seal.

yep thats what I wanted to hear thanks

OP
OP
cableguy_hd

cableguy_hd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 2500 CTD
Engine
6.7 Cummings
No problem we want pics when your done!

well for now its a wash... they calling for bad weather this weekend so I hate to spend all the time and get pissed on by mother nature... I will do a full detail before I go on vacation in April. Got to show it off at the campground

OP
OP
cableguy_hd

cableguy_hd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 2500 CTD
Engine
6.7 Cummings
know of a good moderate priced buffer or polisher or would "by hand" be sufficient?

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
know of a good moderate priced buffer or polisher or would "by hand" be sufficient?

I do it by hand. Buffers actually scare me I can just see myself royally messing up my paint. There are a lot of people that use them and swear by them and that they will never do it by hand again. Just search through some of the other threads in this section and you will find what others are useing... I have considered it trust me I have my dads truck needs a good buffing and I'm not looking forward to it.

dkmesa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Porter Cable sells a great, budget-minded buffer. If you have paint correction needs, it is hard to replace a machine polish with a hand polish. If you're swirl and imperfection free, you might be able to get away with no buffer. And the Porter Cable is random orbital, so great for beginners - no risk of burning the clear coat.

ct18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ditto what DK said. I have a Porter Cable now and i am ordering the new Meguiars MT 300 soon. The PC was my first real machine and trust me you will not damage your ride. I would not do it by had, get the PC you will be happy with results.

Meguiar also has good products for a decent price. You can check Autogeek.net lots of good info there.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Ditto what DK said. I have a Porter Cable now and i am ordering the new Meguiars MT 300 soon. The PC was my first real machine and trust me you will not damage your ride. I would not do it by had, get the PC you will be happy with results.

Meguiar also has good products for a decent price. You can check Autogeek.net lots of good info there.

I'm just paranoid! Never used one I'm sure it's fine but it's hard for me to take a power tool to my brand new trucks paint is all. A lot of good information and good tools on the market to make them stupid proof.

raptor1797

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought a cheep one at Harbor Freight and some of there foam pads and used Meguires ultimate compound and the put a coat of wax and it looked awesome.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Porter Cable sells a great, budget-minded buffer. If you have paint correction needs, it is hard to replace a machine polish with a hand polish. If you're swirl and imperfection free, you might be able to get away with no buffer. And the Porter Cable is random orbital, so great for beginners - no risk of burning the clear coat.

That's the trusty PC 7424. It does amazing work on light-medium paint correction with 0 risk.
Contact a local PC dealer- you can buy "used" models they've demo'd with huge discounts and full warranty. That's how I got mine.

Last edited:

hardcore

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
In my idea they are both almost the same. The only thing that differ is how abrasive the particles that are in it.

Kinetic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Compounds and polishes serve different purposes. Compounds can be thought of as low grit sandpaper, removing deeper defects, while polishes are higher grit sandpaper, removing shallow defects and any left over hazing left from compounding. They have different types of abrasives in them to serves their purpose. What you'll need to use depends on the paints hardness, color, pad, polisher, polisher speed, and skill level. On hard paints, you can use just a compound and it's ready for waxing, but on soft paints you'll want to refine the paint after compounding (or just use the polish by itself) for the best possible finish.

OP
OP
cableguy_hd

cableguy_hd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 2500 CTD
Engine
6.7 Cummings
doing some trolling and forgot I started this thread. I just bought a Harbour Freight DA and an orange pad but after a wash and a claying I think I'm gonna go back and get a finish pad and just polish it tomorrow. Hoping for decent results

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Check out autogeek---they sell all sorts of detail supplies as well as buffer pads. The pads are color coded to be used with different type products. Autogeek also has a number of great u-tube clips about how to use buffers and what the results are. Worth the read!
Jay