Auto Transmission wants to creep hard

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shanes Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Deisel
My 2004 5.9 diesel with automatic trans wants to creep very hard while in gear and stopped/braked. I must use unusually hard braking to keep the truck from moving. Reverse as well. While in gravel, if I let off the brake, the wheels spin while at idle.
In neutral or park it idles at 750.
In gear it idles at 710 but wants to move the truck.
When I place in neutral or park the rpm jumps to 1050 like some stress has been relieved.
I have had the truck since new, now has 168,000 miles. Just had the front seal replaced.

Anyone have a clue what the problem or fix could be?

garner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That sounds really strange Your idle is fine at around 750. Not sure why it wants to move though

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Going off the top of my head here...but my first thought was torque converter.

schroederMP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Kinda sounds like your tourqe converter is staying locked... how does it drive other than that?

OP
OP
S

Shanes Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Deisel
I was thinking converter clutch as well. I went through the service manual last night. Did a road test and found the converter clutch to be operating properly. Also hooked up my analyzer and there were no codes.

Since the shop had to remove the entire front end to access the seal replacement, I wonder if they kinked a trans line to or from the cooler.

Thanks

Last edited:

schroederMP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Do you have a trans temp gauge? If so whats the temp?