Oil Level

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sb2bb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't know, is it just me or do others have a problem reading the dipstick on your 6.7 Diesel? I have a 2012 Ram 2500 and find it close to impossible to get an accurate reading on the dipstick. It seems to always show like way overfull. Can anyone give me some directions here? First Dodge....... Thanks

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Welcome to the site.
I don't have any issues reading mine. Just pull it out, clean it off, reinsert and remove. Look for the bulk of the oil because it has a ways to travel from the oil pan.

Keep It Cummins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins ISB 6.7 L
I don't think your problem is HOW to read the oil level, rather, the problem is the level appears to be too high or having to much fluid in the crankcase.

I too own a 2012, 2500 (30K miles) with the 6.7L and just changed the oil in it about three weeks ago. I put 3 gallons of Rotella T 15W40 with a new filter and find the fluid level to be above the high mark on the dipstick.

Yes I drained the old oil long enough and check the oil level with a cold engine.

My concern is that the DPF/EGR and other BS is not dumping addional amounts of diesel into the crankcase. I hope an experienced forumite can help address this troubling issue.

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I don't think your problem is HOW to read the oil level, rather, the problem is the level appears to be too high or having to much fluid in the crankcase.

I too own a 2012, 2500 (30K miles) with the 6.7L and just changed the oil in it about three weeks ago. I put 3 gallons of Rotella T 15W40 with a new filter and find the fluid level to be above the high mark on the dipstick.

Yes I drained the old oil long enough and check the oil level with a cold engine.

My concern is that the DPF/EGR and other BS is not dumping addional amounts of diesel into the crankcase. I hope an experienced forumite can help address this troubling issue.

I have heard people mention that the 6.7 "makes" oil between changes if not deleted. Of course if you are deleted then there is no regen occuring and the oil level should be close to what it was when you changed it last.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 LB CC Diesel
Engine
6.7 CTD
Google 6.7 cummins making oil and you will find all the answers you want. With factory DPF junk in place your engine oil can get fuel diluted under certain regen conditions.