6.4 Oil Filter Part Number

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike Wenrich

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2004.5, 2023 RAM 2500 Laramie 4x4
Engine
5.9 Diesel, 6.4 Hemi
I've been hoping to find something in posts on oil filter number and best source for the 0-40 oil on the 2023 6.4 Hemi engine. Cannot find anything on the forum and the local O'reillys does not show it yet in their computer. I know the oil will be PUP or equivalent. Some discussion on the Redline vs PUP but nothing on the filter. I can do my own changes and am hesitant to have the dealer do the change since the last time I used them on my diesel they sucked the oil out rather than use the drain plug. I know this because they left a mess under the hood and on the fender with the old oil.

Seems there are two filters that can be used...one longer than the other and it appears to have plenty of room for a longer filter. Don't see a number or brand for either one. Anyone out there know what these are? And maybe where to get the best price? I have Amazon Prime so could use them if they are a source.

StansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I use a Purolator Boss, part #PBL12222, and for oil I use Mobil1 0w-40 every 5000 miles. 2022 2500 6.4

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Laramie 2500 4 X 4
Engine
6.4L
I use the Royal Purple 20-500 on my 6.4L. PUP 0W40 except for a couple of FCA Engineering Center changes which were PP 0W40 and OEM filter. I started adding LubeGard Biotech at 65K. There are numerous (ad nauseam) oil & filter threads on this forum. I get PUP when it is on sale locally or on Amazon. May switch to a High Mileage oil at 85K when my stash runs out. Good luck.

OP
OP
M

Mike Wenrich

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Diesel, 6.4 Hemi
Thanks to both of you. Believe I read some good reviews on the LubeGard and of course the PUP and Mobil 1. Seems my local mountain store (Oreilleys) has not kept up on all these. They had PUP but in the wrong weight for me. No info there on filters so this helps. I'm a ways off on the change but want to have the product on the shelf when I reach 4K. If mine keeps or if it is using oil (had to add 1 1/2 qts @1400 miles) I will have the dealer change it to document usage. Also the local store can order in product they do not normally have a call for so that might be an option.

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A lot of people use royal purple filters. The 20-820 is what I use, and a lot of others on this forum. They are bigger than the OEM filter. I just ordered 6 more from royal purple direct, and when you get 6 at a time the price is 11.99 per filter. I used to use PUP 0w-40, bit have used redline 5w-30 as have a lot of people on this forum. I am gonna switch to HPL premium plus 0w-40 on my next change. It appears to be great oil!! Can't wait to try it out!!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Go to Walmart and get the Fram Endurance in the recommended size.
So fram endurance, rp and amsoil ea are all the same, except royal purple 20-820 has two extra inlet holes. The desirable choice from oil filter thread is rp 20-820, see if you have a little extra width down there, if you have some clearance, they will fit. You need to buy from rp direct. As another option you can get the fe2 filter from walmart, they have an exclusive on fram endurance. see oil filter thread for more info, some 6.4 guys do like the rp 20-500.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So fram endurance, rp and amsoil ea are all the same, except royal purple 20-820 has two extra inlet holes. The desirable choice from oil filter thread is rp 20-820, see if you have a little extra width down there, if you have some clearance, they will fit. You need to buy from rp direct. As another option you can get the fe2 filter from walmart, they have an exclusive on fram endurance. see oil filter thread for more info, some 6.4 guys do like the rp 20-500.
@Mike Wenrich
Exact fit:
Recommended slightly larger filter:

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mike Wenrich

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Diesel, 6.4 Hemi
I've stayed away from Fram and went to Wix after an extensive review of major brand filter construction in the Turbo Diesel Register magazine. This was for my 5.9 2004.5 Cummins and the more recent engines but I figured if large companies cut corners on filters they don't deserve my business. BTW Purolator was one of the worst. Things change and maybe Fram has improved their filters and I would not hesitate to use Fram in my older vehicles. As sensitive as these new 6.4 engines are I'm leery of buying anything unproven. I don't want to go to a filter just because it's cheaper. My neighbor has a 2003 5.7 Hemi with 220k on it. Not an MDS engine so it has lasted likely longer than this new truck of mine will. Uses 10-30 now vs 0-40. That 5.7 is using more oil due to age but my point is I believe our new engines are less tolerant. So I want the very best filtering possible and I will do more frequent oil changes than recommended.

From what I have read on this forum the earlier 6.4 used a different weight oil and the 5.7 also uses a different weight. I don't know enough to determine when that change was made to 0-40 but something made RAM techs make that move. I do appreciate ALL the feedback on this and I'm not downplaying those that suggested something different than the first couple responses. Knowing all the possible numbers of the filters and oils is important to me and I will make old school pencil notes in my folder on this truck in case I need something different in a pinch.

OP
OP
M

Mike Wenrich

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Diesel, 6.4 Hemi
A lot of people use royal purple filters. The 20-820 is what I use, and a lot of others on this forum. They are bigger than the OEM filter. I just ordered 6 more from royal purple direct, and when you get 6 at a time the price is 11.99 per filter. I used to use PUP 0w-40, bit have used redline 5w-30 as have a lot of people on this forum. I am gonna switch to HPL premium plus 0w-40 on my next change. It appears to be great oil!! Can't wait to try it out!!
What is the HPL Premium? I don't recognize the initials.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I want the very best filtering possible and I will do more frequent oil changes than recommended.
That's what we're recommending for you, Royal Purple and Fram Endurance filters. We aren't recommending Fram cheap orange cans of death to you.

But if you're set on your filter choice based on a magazine article from 2009 (that's what I could find at least), why ask?

OP
OP
M

Mike Wenrich

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Diesel, 6.4 Hemi
The article was published early this year or maybe late last year and was a thorough review. So you did not find the article I am referencing. It only appeared in a diesel forum magazine specifically for Cummins/RAM engines. If the Fram endurance is a better filter then it is news to me. And good news. I always liked the Fram filters. Now that comment about the orange cans of death is funny. :)

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Buddy, fram just bought champ labs the number one builder of high end filters, read oil filter thread for more info, try page 1 and 93. Endurance has the fram name it is not fram, it is a rp/amsoil clone. Now they owned champ labs for a minute, but the endurance line is brand new walmart exlusive, and as said is a rp/amsoil clone. So champ lab products making it into fram lineup is brand new.

Last edited:

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
If I owned the 6.4/392 HEMI, especially in a truck designed for heavy duty purposes, I wouldn't ever use the factory recommended "8oz. tomato juice can" sized oil filter... jm2¢

Some folks have opted for the longer Royal Purple 20-500 for their bigger HEMI engine due to the larger diameter Royal Purple 20-820 has an fitment issue, however, some don't have that issue and use the larger RP ...

Good luck, and happy motoring!

Last edited:

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7

OC455

Military
Reaction score