Weird events.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kenny kustom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
I've got about 4k on my 14 6.7.
Just got back from a trip to the states for the weekend.

Sat evening, after the wife dragging me around shopping, I was sitting at a light, the truck idled up a bit, sounded like it was building boost, but the sound was really hollow. There was no throttle response until about mid pedal. Then it accelerated fine.

The engine was warm. 196. This has happened three other times.

Not sure what to think of it.

Blue Streak

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 POWER WAGON & 1979 W150
Engine
6.4L HEMI & 440 Wedge
Doesn't sound like regen, that is unnoticeable in my 2012 6.7

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I've notcied it at idle before
The VGT turbo slides the nozzle nearly closed increasing the load on the engine ( accounts for raise in rpm and change in exhaust tone) which makes the engine basically a heat pump which increases exhaust temps

OP
OP
Kenny kustom

Kenny kustom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
I've notcied it at idle before
The VGT turbo slides the nozzle nearly closed increasing the load on the engine ( accounts for raise in rpm and change in exhaust tone) which makes the engine basically a heat pump which increases exhaust temps

But if engine is at operating temp, why.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
It shouldn't but if your particulate filter is full then it will go into regen no matter the circumstances. It's an even bigger problem if it doesn't.
The truck will increase engine load to increase EGTs to burn the particulate out, diesel fuel is injected as a catalyst as well

Cummins Powered

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 2500 4x4 3.73 gears,1994 Ram 2500 4x4 12 valve modified, Industrial Injection #5 fuel plate
Engine
6.7 Cummins, 5.9 Cummins
Before my stuff fell off, it would tell me on the overhead console that it was going through a regen. I would have to drive anywhere from 30 to 40 minutes, it would occur 3 to 4 times a week. Anyway, I'm not sure on the new models if it lets you know if it's going through a regen. Maybe something else is occurring?

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
My '12 would not tell when it was in regen. My Edge Insight would tell me. Thankfully, like you, I don't have to deal with that anymore :)

Cummins Powered

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 2500 4x4 3.73 gears,1994 Ram 2500 4x4 12 valve modified, Industrial Injection #5 fuel plate
Engine
6.7 Cummins, 5.9 Cummins
I hear you on that one! I just woke up one morning and everything was missing lol. It was very annoying when going through regen, it would pop up on the overhead console saying regeneration required. So I would have to drive until the regen was finished, while I was driving it would pop up every 3 to 5 minutes until the pop belly soot cooker(DPF) was satisfied. Once the regen was completely done, overhead on the console would read regeneration was completed. A real pain in the ass! This would occur 3 to to as much as 5 times a week, driving and wasting fuel anywhere from a 20 minute drive as much as a 45 minute drive. I had somewhere of around 18 work orders my first year of ownership when I obtained new from the dealership. From clogged egr, software issues, turbo full of soot, turbo replacement, and DPF replacement. I can even remember they installed a wrap of burlap type of material and wraped it around the down-pipe to keep the heat in the engine bay area. It was all under warranty but still a pain in the ass. Anyway, back to the main toppic, I assumed the newer trucks were doing the same thing(showing when regen was needed). It looks like they have dome some better engineering with these newer trucks.

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Damn, I'm amazed at everything the owners of the early DPF trucks had to endure. Thankfully it seems that they are getting better with every iteration. By the time I am ready to buy another one they should have this crap figured out.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990