My Project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dodgecrewman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dodge 318
These are pictures of my 1978 Dodge Crew cab when it cam out of the booth.
I thought it would be best to post it up here in hopes I could get some support for parts and motivation... :)
To start, I am struggling to find good aftermarket bumpers for it.
Sean

Attachments

• Truck back right.jpg
    Truck back right.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 105
  • Truck back.jpg
    Truck back.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 118
  • Truck front right.jpg
    Truck front right.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 114
  • Truck front.jpg
    Truck front.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 103

Ocelot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I can't help with the parts, but I like it! Looks like its gonna be a cool truck when its all done.

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Awesome... and Welcome!

What color is that?

What are your intentions? A stock - restoration type build, or a modded up monster truck, or somewhere in between? Not sure what type of bumpers to suggest.

That body is super straight and looking good!

Was it an old Air Force / Navy truck or do you know it's history?

I recall seeing rows and rows of those and crew cab F350s (White or Blue) lined up on flight lines or Heli pads out in the desert at remote underground bunker spots I've explored about 20 years ago.

Sadly, few (if any) of them are left.

Keep us updated and posting up pics as it comes along. Wish I were a bit closer (I'm down in Big Water) I would love to come wrench with ya!

PCA4208

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome! I like the color of the truck, looks immaculate.

I don't know of anybody who makes aftermarket bumpers for these trucks. Fabbing your own shouldn't be too hard as long as you're a good welder.

OP
OP
D

Dodgecrewman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dodge 318
Thanks for the comments everyone. The paint is gunmetal blue. We mixed a few to get that specific color but it's not as crazy as we could have gone. It was an air force truck (air traffic control signs in the cab) so the color was a lot brighter blue initially. I did jam everything with the new color.
I plan to have a semi-daily driver that can wheel as needed and still be a head turner. If there's a lift involved I plan to stay 4 to 6 inches. I figured bumpers would have to be crafted by hand but was hoping maybe one of these manufactures would have more than just the Fey version. I've got a fab friend who has offered to build some.
I'm thinking of accenting all of the blue with blacked out badges, wheels, and bumpers. I think the grill could look good blacked out too but it's pretty hard to change that back if I decided it didn't look good. But if I don't change it then it's pretty much the only thing not black or blue.
I'm grafting in an 08 dodge interior that was black leather. Should be a little more comfy. I bought the painless wiring kit too and it looks pretty straight forward. Anyone have tips on that? I wanted fresh start with the electrical and needed a bigger fuse box for power windows/locks and the stereo/dvd player. Would like a/c down the road but not worried about it today. I've had this truck for about ten years and been thinking, planning and hoarding things for it as the body got straightened and painted.
I'll post more pics as it comes along. Thanks again

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That looks badass! It's very rare to find a crew cab of that vintage that's not rusted to hell n back, and I live in New Mexico!

I would most certainly say you fabricate bumpers for it. Just keep em simple and understated to not detract from the awesomeness of the truck!

Statcher1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree with WhiteExpress. Build your own. So you can get the exactly the way you want them.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
This looks amazing. Please keep the thread updated.

As for blacking out badges and your grille, you can use Plasti-dip. Don't like it? Just peel it off.

OP
OP
D

Dodgecrewman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dodge 318
Plasti dip. That's a great way to try it out. Thanks.

OP
OP
D

Dodgecrewman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dodge 318
Front bumper found and on :cool::thumbup:

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1393711195187.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1393711195187.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 49
OP
OP
D

Dodgecrewman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dodge 318
Gonna definitely black out the grill.

OP
OP
D

Dodgecrewman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dodge 318
Trying to find rims to put on this truck. Attached is a picture of the lugs and tires on there now. Plate inside the door says 16.5-6.75 for rims. Anyone have success with this? Truck is a 3/4 ton and 8 lug. Is there a place that says what other vehicles rims will fit on "this or that" truck?

PCA4208

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Pretty much any dodge rim up to the 4th gen rims will fit. I put rims from a 2007 truck on mine. They fit with no problems. Any rim from older Chevys will work too.

Bolt pattern is 8x6.5

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Need more pics... and frequent updates. This is just too nice to not follow along.

You thinking narrow, stock steel wheels and dogdish caps, or going with some affordable Craigslist aftermarket type wheels a little wider, or ?

What theme are you going with, or is it just whatever comes available and looks right when you see it?

OP
OP
D

Dodgecrewman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dodge 318
The plan is to go black and blue as much as possible. I'd like the wheels to be matte blacked out versus shiny. I'm working on eliminating chrome on the truck. Want to plasti dip or paint anything chrome. The interior will be black leather from an 08 crew cab. I'm upgrading the electrical via Painless Wiring and I went with the bigger fuse box for upgrade to Pw, Pl, etc. Not sure about lift or size of tires. It sits high enough and I feel like if I start on that road then I'm another 5K minimum ;-) and sometimes a clean "slightly modified" stock can look so good. So that's my theme for now.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I have 97/98 Ram 2500 wheels on my 76. Only problem with using the later Dodge wheels is that you can't use the hub caps because the nuts that hold them on are a different thread pitch than the 70s Dodge studs. :(

Truck came with 97 Ford F250 wheels (heavy mothers). Any wheel that's 16in in diameter that has a bolt pattern of 8x6.5 should work.

OP
OP
D

Dodgecrewman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dodge 318
Probably a dumb question but can it be a 16 inch or bigger or just 16s?