BW 44-40/44/44 vin confusion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rupert

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 big horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
All I wanted for the day after Xmas was to:

change out my dif and t-case fluids, install my mudflaps and change my sparkplugs.

So start at the bottom let the engine and heads cool while we do the fluids and mudflaps

Difs were no problem, but the t-case...hmmm

In prep for this I consulted:
This board, Thanks guys! great info.
Owners manual, which says I need BW 44-44 oil like you all posted.
So Armed with my vin and I also crawled under my truck in the parking lot at the dealer parts, I went inside. long story short even tough I told him I had a 44-44 T-case he gave me 2 qts of 44-40 fluid which I did not notice until I had drained my t-case yesterday. pretty simple red fluid came out so this clear , thin stuff shouldn't go in. Holiday so no ones open. Also the mudflaps I bought did not fit either, and I did not get to the spark plugs.

So I had to drive my Charger in the rain today.

the parts guy insisted he gave me the right stuff based on the vin. I review the above with him, and he actually asked me to go look....I remind him I cant go look, the truck is not drivable... After much discussion, he went back to a 2013 and got me the right fluids, and took back the mudflaps.

SO he thinks got a "leftover from 13" T-case. I think his computer program is a POS.

HMMMM, the red stuff I got says BW-44-44 44-45, etc. PRE 2016.

SO for those of you who are going to the dealer be careful, your vin and owners manual may not get you the right fluid.

He did say if I brought him the BW PN off of the case he would try to figure out the problem.

For me, Ill be back in business about ten min after I get home.

Can anyone make a recommendation for some mud flaps that might actually fit?

And how was our day after Christmas?

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It says right on the T-Case what model it is, I wouldn't trust what the computer says. I also never buy overprice oil from the stealership.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Rupert

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 big horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
hey DILLIGAF! My bud has that on his helmet...
You actually have to get the fluid from the dealer for the t-case, no one makes it aftermarket, although amsoil.......might.

Like I posted, I told him I just crawled under the truck and its a 44-44.

I TRUSTED him, and didn't check, was in a hurry, and there was actually a woman in there with BO so bad the other parts guy sprayed Lysol when she left. Im not kidding.

Regardless I had the right info and did not verify until it was to late.
He did allow me to return both bottles, the unopened as well as the opened bottle

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
All I wanted for the day after Xmas was to:

change out my dif and t-case fluids, install my mudflaps and change my sparkplugs.

So start at the bottom let the engine and heads cool while we do the fluids and mudflaps

Difs were no problem, but the t-case...hmmm

In prep for this I consulted:
This board, Thanks guys! great info.
Owners manual, which says I need BW 44-44 oil like you all posted.
So Armed with my vin and I also crawled under my truck in the parking lot at the dealer parts, I went inside. long story short even tough I told him I had a 44-44 T-case he gave me 2 qts of 44-40 fluid which I did not notice until I had drained my t-case yesterday. pretty simple red fluid came out so this clear , thin stuff shouldn't go in. Holiday so no ones open. Also the mudflaps I bought did not fit either, and I did not get to the spark plugs.

So I had to drive my Charger in the rain today.

the parts guy insisted he gave me the right stuff based on the vin. I review the above with him, and he actually asked me to go look....I remind him I cant go look, the truck is not drivable... After much discussion, he went back to a 2013 and got me the right fluids, and took back the mudflaps.

SO he thinks got a "leftover from 13" T-case. I think his computer program is a POS.

HMMMM, the red stuff I got says BW-44-44 44-45, etc. PRE 2016.

SO for those of you who are going to the dealer be careful, your vin and owners manual may not get you the right fluid.

He did say if I brought him the BW PN off of the case he would try to figure out the problem.

For me, Ill be back in business about ten min after I get home.

Can anyone make a recommendation for some mud flaps that might actually fit?

And how was our day after Christmas?
What year is your ram? I have Mud Flaps that fit an 11-14 for sale.

Sent from hell via TapATalk

Markcuda

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015-Laramie-1500-CC-4X4
Engine
Husky Liners makes a great mud flap for our Rams.
With or with out the body flares.

OP
OP
R

Rupert

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 big horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Husky Liners makes a great mud flap for our Rams.
With or with out the body flares.

I was looking at them today. He actually said( again) I should take them out to the truck and see if they fit.....I again reminded him the TRUCK cant be driven.
I will check them out when soon. thank you

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I was looking at them today. He actually said( again) I should take them out to the truck and see if they fit.....I again reminded him the TRUCK cant be driven.
I will check them out when soon. thank you
If your interested let me know. $60.763a15d15d09687e4c7792dffcc65457.jpg

Sent from hell via TapATalk

OP
OP
R

Rupert

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 big horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
SO I goggled the 44-40 fluid and it is for the T case that is in the AWD chargers and 300s.....

Does anyone out there with a 15-17 have any experience with this issue?

Perhaps I'm not alone with this issue

Esdd67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Weatherguards fit even with the factory nerf bars. Weatherguards fit finder on their site says no, but they do fit with about 1mm clearance with the front of the bars.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk