Dumb questions about wire connectors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Recon12

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There are a number of wiring connectors on the Ram and they seem to all be somewhat different from each other. Some of the mods like CAI, throttle body, etc. require taking them apart. I am kinda dumb, I guess, but not too sure how to safely take these apart without breaking them or damaging the wiring. Most of them have what looks like a red part that slides back to unlock the connector. Is is safe to just pull or push of the red part, or do you have to press on something at the same time?
This one is on the passenger side fender liner, it looks like you just pull up on the red part?
i-rxH5S84-M.jpg

This one is on the throttle body, looks like you just slide the red part back:
i-CtLrwN7-M.jpg

This one is on the air temp sensor, it feels like you press on the bottom to unlock it? There is no red latch on this one:
i-dNLKxdR-M.jpg

This one is for the underwood light and is even different, does the red part just slide back to unlock or do you have to pry it up?
i-66rvZdN-M.jpg

I'm thinking of buying a Haynes manual, I wonder if that will show how to unlock all these connectors.

Sorry for the ******* questions, it is just frustrating that cars and trucks don't have connectors that make sense when you look at them. Maybe it's just me, though, and everybody else doesn't have a problem with them.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Best advice is to go slow and be careful. All these have some kind of tab on them that needs to be pressed for the connector to release. The caveat is that some of these connectors come apart in different places that they would first appear. If you think you have released the catch and the connector won'r disengage easily, stop, look again and try pulling from a different direction or location.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The red ones just slide out to release them. You can usually just do it with your fingernail. They are one of the simplest plugs to release. I wish they made them all that way. The gray one probably just has a pressure point that you squeeze to release by distorting a little bit since it doesn't seem to have a tab to push in. It also may be the type that you pry the tab out gently with a screw driver where it connects to the plug. It's hard to tell from your picture because it only shows one side. These plugs are pretty durable as long as the haven't become brittle. Just take your time and don't force them and you should be able to figure it out.

Last edited:

Broyd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
One at a time: the underhood connector ... Get your fingernail between the red and black parts and slide the red piece to the right. It slides about the width of the red piece. It does not come off. This uncovers a black movable piece which you keep pressed down. Having done that, the left half of the connector will pull out of the part of the connector anchored to the truck. Grip the left half of the connector and pull it (NOT the wires) towards the side of the truck.

OP
OP
R

Recon12

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the responses - it helps

I also picked up the Haynes shop manual for this year Ram and it does have info on how to disconnect some of the various connectors.

I notice that some of the connectors you have to pull out a tab and then also press a button. That is not always too clear.

One should look over the connector carefully for clips, latches, buttons and then if it does not come apart with reasonable force, you are probably missing something.