First oil change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vito

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Express
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
Truck just hit the 6000 mile mark.
So is 6K a good benchmark for changing oil out?
The EVIC shows nothing like: "Damn it Vito....change the oil!!". :naughty:
Curious when you guys do it?
Which oil + filter system do you recommend?

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The EVIC in my 14 shows the percentage of oil life left,,, (Lone Star). Almost 7500 miles and in the low 20's, (23%, I believe) Which model do you have?

Oil and filter? Lotsa discussion/opinions on that one!

A 'personal' thing,,, kinda like underwear,,, Whether it's Tighty-******'s, Boxers, or Commando, no one's lost their jewels yet!!! LOL!!

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
I have the 6.4L which takes 0w-40 I believe and it has to be synthetic cost for an oil change is around $100.00 for the oil and filter, so I change it based on the factory intervals no sooner. I also monitor the oil life in the EVIC. I did get a special deal from Ram when I bought my truck for 8 free oil changes thank god. From what I read with the 6.4L any other oil will trash the engine and Fiat will tell you too bad for you.

just my 2¢

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Truck just hit the 6000 mile mark.
So is 6K a good benchmark for changing oil out?
The EVIC shows nothing like: "Damn it Vito....change the oil!!". :naughty:
Curious when you guys do it?
Which oil + filter system do you recommend?
The information menu in the EVIC has the oil life readout.

preachp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Page 644 2013 owner's manual

Change Engine Oil
The oil change indicator system will remind you that it is
time to take your vehicle in for scheduled maintenance.
Refer to the “Maintenance Schedule” for further information.
NOTE: Under no circumstances should oil change intervals
exceed 10,000 miles (16,000 km) or twelve
months, whichever occurs first.
Engine Oil Selection
For best performance and maximum protection under all
types of operating conditions, the manufacturer only
recommends engine oils that are API Certified and meet
the requirements of Chrysler Material Standard MS-6395.
American Petroleum Institute (API) Engine Oil
Identification Symbol
This symbol means that the oil has
been certified by the American
Petroleum Institute (API). The
manufacturer only recommends
API Certified engine oils.
CAUTION!
Do not use chemical flushes in your engine oil as the
chemicals can damage your engine. Such damage is
not covered by the New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

preachp

Cobra2top

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Big Horn Brilliant Black Crew
Engine
Funny thing, my dealer put a change oil sticker on the windshield for 4000 miles. I have just rolled 2000 miles on my 2015 Hemi and my oil meter is at 80%.

Should I listen to the car or dealer sticker??

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Depends on what oil you use.

Vito I highly recommend Penzoil Ultra as it is great over the counter oil and made with the folks from Chrysler specifically for the hemi, no joke. Read the syn thread for all of the benefits, low evap- high cleaning- super clean formula- good Moly, etc.

I test my stuff and have cut open many oil filters as many guys here will attest, I have found no better filter then Royal Purple Filters, cut one open after 14 months of service and still was like new. Use find your filter function in upper right part of page.

Change your oil, 6k is too long for first oil chnage. Cut open filter and see for yourself if there was early metal wear.

reefer451

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Funny thing, my dealer put a change oil sticker on the windshield for 4000 miles. I have just rolled 2000 miles on my 2015 Hemi and my oil meter is at 80%.

Should I listen to the car or dealer sticker??

My dealer put a 3000 mile sticker on my windshield. As long as I'm using the free changes that came with the truck I'm doing them early because I don't think the dealer is putting in synthetic. Once I start doing it myself I'll be using a good quality synthetic and I will start using the oil life meter or 1 year.

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I typically change the factory oil out at 1500 miles or so but I noticed the level was really high and I had also added in some Redline break in fluid that Burla recommended. I had to let a decent amount out, probably at least a quart. Still high on the stick but that got me thinking that with the truck sitting over night perhaps some of the machining flash or break offs would be at the bottom of the pan and flush out.

Most likely I will change it after an up coming road trip. It looks like the manual says 10k miles or 1 year which is too long for me on dino oil. I don't drive that many miles so will do 5k mile changes or 1 year.

kemblkr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A good quality 5W20 synthetic such as Mobil 1 and any filter other than
fram. I like Bosch, Wix or Napa Gold. You can never hurt yourself by changing too often especially your first change, but use the EVIC or every 7500 miles. You can see on the dipstick when your synthetic starts looking dark so err on the side of caution. Easiest to,use a filter wrench (band type) and reach over the front axel to break the filter loose. Make sure to cover your electric power steering system to keep the oil off when the filter starts to drain.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
tin fouls works great to cover things and keep oil off

Irrivirsible

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is a subject that can differ between dealers and the company. I have seen many different opinions on this. Years past the thought was to get the shavings from new engine break in out of there soon. Now some manufacturers tell you not to remove the factory fill early. I have been over this with different manufacturers and dealers. Honda says not to remove the factory fill early but some dealers tell you every 5000 miles including the first change.

The dealer I bought my 2014 Ram from says 5000 miles including the first oil change and if I go on Mopar Connect and enter my mileage it says service due at 10,000 miles. I sent the company an email asking them to clarify when the first oil change should be as my dealer says 5000 and another says follow the maintenance minder and Mopar Connect saying 10,000. It should be an across the board decision between dealers and the manufacturer as far as I am concerned within the same region.

I have been considering going in at 5000 miles. I am also wondering which oil as regular will be fine for 5000 mile changes. Don't know if engine noise will occur with synthetic or not. I don't have engine noise now and don't want it after changing oil either.

I am also debating changing my own oil but you never know how a dealership will react to warranty claims when doing your own oil changes. As far as the oil change itself I would be a lot more particular with how it is done than they would.

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I just changed mine at 1300 miles. Oil was brownish. Used Pennzoil conventional and large Mobil 1 filter for older hemis, such as 2010. Trash bag over the frame and kroger bag around filter kept things clean. That sucker was mangled by the time I got it off. You are not in violation of warranty if you keep your receipts and record service. Don't let the dealer scare you. I will probably go 6k miles or 1 year.