First oil change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tearza

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
My first oil change is coming up. What do you recommend the type of oil I should use. I live in the Nevada desert.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
That's a loaded question. You will get both ends of the spectrum from any name brand on the shelf to home brews of mixtures.

Short of shelling out the extra $$$ for Redline (more moly) I found that Pennzoil Ultra Platinum (not to be confused with Pennzoil Platinum) and Mobil1 full synthetic were well regarded for someone who wants good oil but doesn't want to pay a lot extra or deal with a chemistry lab (I'm not 25 any more).

I went with Pennzoil Ultra Platinum (PUP) and had no issues for the 4 years and 86K miles I had the truck. YMMY

Papa Red

Papa Red
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Before you drain the oil, just make sure you're able to loosen the oil filter. If it turns at all you're good to go. Some people have gone to the dealer for the first because of tight filters. Mine was easy to do. I run the PUP as stated above. Good luck.

Red

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just an fyi the filters from the factory can be a real bear to get off the first time.
OH yeah, we know, which is why I had Dealership monkey off the first change. I think the factory machine puts them on at like 470 ft lbs.

mb33458

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 etorque
I would let the dealership do the first oil change. On my first OC (which was free) the dealership cracked the oil pan taking the plug out. It was replaced on their dime, but I have the feeling, if I cracked the pan on the first change it would have been my $$.

skates15

Reaction score
I had my first oil change last month and went with red line and a royal purple filter. I changed the oil plug with a magnetic one. The red line is expensive but PUP is well regarded.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
Neither my oil filter nor my drain plug were overly tight so were not hard to break loose. With a 4x4 there is not a lot of options to reach the oil filter. I went in from the front with this type of oil filter wrench:

1701267593880.png

This has better contact with the filter for grip IMO and also doesn't damage the filter in the unlikely event you need to reuse it for any reason.

I only had a occasional tick for the first few seconds on cold days as the oil initially started pumping through the block. Had it grown to something more constant I would have bumped up to Redline with a higher moly content.

Last edited:

brian42

Military
Reaction score
Once I broke the filter loose I put a quart freezer bag around it to keep it from dripping oil all over. Since the oil is warm/hot I would double-bag it so that it wouldn't melt through both bags before I could get the filter out and in the pan.

raksasa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ll pile in with the recommendation to let the dealer do the first change. Whomever the jack wagon was that installed the filter on the assembly line over torqued it so bad it galled the threads on the filter holder. Turned into a multi day crap show to fix

BlackSheepRebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just an fyi the filters from the factory can be a real bear to get off the first time.
Glad I wasn't the only one. Even after a lifetime of changing oil (one of my first chores as a kid), I emitted a lot of objectionable language on the first change for my Rebel. It felt like they hired a gorilla to give it an extra twist at the end of the line. Used one of the standard "twist" style wrenches shown above lined with sand paper (always helps with more grip). Combined with paper thin OE filter wall thickness, actually started crushing/shredding the filter before it broke loose.

Replace that with a better quality filter (Royal Purple gets love here) with thicker walls and not forgetting everything you've ever been told about how to tighten oil filters will ensure that's never a problem again! I do use Redline 5W-30, but used Mobile-1 before that. Lots of oil threads here (or other places like "bob the oil guy" forum) if you want to go deep on that.

For your future self, check out https://www.ramforum.com/threads/pacbrake-remote-filter-install.201359!

Good luck!

Last edited:

Brman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummings Diesel
Once I broke the filter loose I put a quart freezer bag around it to keep it from dripping oil all over. Since the oil is warm/hot I would double-bag it so that it wouldn't melt through both bags before I could get the filter out and in the pan.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You know it's OK to let the oil cool down enough to not do that, right? You just want it warm enough to flow easily, you're not trying to keep the Vikings horde from breaching the walls. :gunner:

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Funny to see the different methods of getting a stuck filter off. The only time I've had one stuck I used a hammer to send a long screw driver threw it. I got GREAT leverage using that lol.

TRK_GANG74

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Got tired of the stock filter location and the mess associated with. Installed the Packbrake Oil Filter Relocation Kit along with a Fumoto Oil Drain Valve and oil changes are a lot quicker, cleaner, and easier on my post carpal tunnel surgery hands.

Attachments

• IMG_0583.jpeg
    IMG_0583.jpeg
    179.1 KB · Views: 16

kdoublep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Love my fumoto. Got the oil udder for the filter. Have not used it yet but looking forward to it.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
Love my fumoto. Got the oil udder for the filter. Have not used it yet but looking forward to it.
I went the ValvoMax route with fewer external parts and a lower profile.

You know it's OK to let the oil cool down enough to not do that, right? You just want it warm enough to flow easily, you're not trying to keep the Vikings horde from breaching the walls. :gunner:
I don't have the luxury of time that I used to. I always use a bag to catch the oil and use a second when letting the oil cool down is not in the cards (once I get redirected to house chores while waiting I usually never get a chance to get back to the driveway that day ;)).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat