How To: 13-14 premium cluster upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I looked through this thread but I didn’t notice seeing if you do a cluster upgrade on a 2013 on how to correct the TPMS issue? Can you just use 2014 up TPMS sensors to correct it or is it unable to be corrected?
I don't believe this can be corrected , the RF module is different and won't read the sensors if not the correct hertz . From my understanding there is a different RF module in the 13s and up to about mid 14 Rams as well .

I believe the TPMS sensors in the wheel is read by the RF Module then the module reports to the cluster ? There's at least 3 components that have to work together for the psi to be displayed .

Maybe @Mpgrimm2 will chime in as I believe he has felt with this before ...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I had a 13ram1500 SLT for 5 years and recall that the TPMS module (near left front FogLt) was completely separate from the RF Hub (back wall of the cab). In 2014 it looks like they integrated the TPMS function into the RF Hub & possibly changed the TPMS wheel sensor frequency. On the 14+ trucks they seem to be able to use the newer 16+ RF Hubs that may be more compatible with the evic (see Alfaobd thread & adding Keyless enter n go thread)... but I doubt you can do that with due to the seperate modules.
The 13/14 year trucks are also somewhat more limited in BCM features than 16+ trucks. The easiest way to fix your issue is to get a 2013 7" evic

M² Mods.

FlatbedHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had a 13ram1500 SLT for 5 years and recall that the TPMS module (near left front FogLt) was completely separate from the RF Hub (back wall of the cab). In 2014 it looks like they integrated the TPMS function into the RF Hub & possibly changed the TPMS wheel sensor frequency. On the 14+ trucks they seem to be able to use the newer 16+ RF Hubs that may be more compatible with the evic (see Alfaobd thread & adding Keyless enter n go thread)... but I doubt you can do that with due to the seperate modules.
The 13/14 year trucks are also somewhat more limited in BCM features than 16+ trucks. The easiest way to fix your issue is to get a 2013 7" evic

M² Mods.

Sounds very similar to an 07 chevy I had. Changeover or first run years seem to be fraught with incompatibility issues when upgrading.

Coughlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie Longhorn CC
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thanks for the info. I figured by just buying the 14-19 TPMS sensors might correct it but it looks like it won’t.

My ram also didn’t come with the keyless enter and go option but I plan on doing that upgrade here soon. After that I will remove the old RF hub for the TPMS and add the new style senors for 14-19 ram and see if it works. I will post an update on it here.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Thanks for the info. I figured by just buying the 14-19 TPMS sensors might correct it but it looks like it won’t.

My ram also didn’t come with the keyless enter and go option but I plan on doing that upgrade here soon. After that I will remove the old RF hub for the TPMS and add the new style senors for 14-19 ram and see if it works. I will post an update on it here.
You can see a full set of 13ram1500 schematics in the following thread to compare and I believe a 14 1500 also...
My 2013+ Shared Schematics and other OEM Info.

M² Mods.

Cesar592

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 pentastar
ok I just changed my cluster 13 to one 17 and I was wondering if this will work for my ram

dracman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 black out edition
Engine
hemi 5.7
ya im thinking of doing the swap for my 17 express.i have a kenwood deck will it still work out .

RAMdaddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I just upgraded my cluster from a 3.5 to the 7"evic in my 2016 Ram 2 days ago. The cluster also came from a 2016. Everything works well except for a couple issues....My TPMS values show higher which I know I can fix with the threshhold correction in alfaobd also the (MIL) or "check engine light flashes for 10 seconds and goes solid then extinguishes when the truck is started...The owners manual says that means if failed the MIL check. And lastly, the darn evic wont stay on the speedo screen. It defaults back to vehicle info ie. tpms screen or oil life screen. Can someone help me fix these problems please??

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My TPMS values show higher which I know I can fix with the threshhold correction in alfaobd
Can you explain this one more? Do you mean that the psi numbers are showing higher than the psi that are actually in the tires? Or, the inflate to thresholds are higher than your truck’s placard thresholds?
I’d be returning this one, as there’s clearly something wrong with it.

RAMdaddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can you explain this one more? Do you mean that the psi numbers are showing higher than the psi that are actually in the tires? Or, the inflate to thresholds are higher than your truck’s placard thresholds?
I’d be returning this one, as there’s clearly something wrong with it.

So the standard threshold for my vehicle is 39 psi as listed on the door placard. I had my tires sitting @ exactly 39 psi before changing my evic to the 7". Once I changed the evic, the tire pressure readings went up to 41 on each tire on the evic. I haven't had the opportunity to actually check the tire pressure.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
So the standard threshold for my vehicle is 39 psi as listed on the door placard. I had my tires sitting @ exactly 39 psi before changing my evic to the 7". Once I changed the evic, the tire pressure readings went up to 41 on each tire on the evic. I haven't had the opportunity to actually check the tire pressure.
Ok. That’s not something the AlfaOBD would fix, anyway. I’d drive it around for at least 5 minutes straight above 30mph, then wait for the tires to cool down and check against a pressure reader.

RAMdaddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Out of curiosity, is their a way to factory reset the evic? Also I would be curious to know if the previous owner of the evic had larger tires to where I need to re-adjust the tire size in the BCM?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Out of curiosity, is their a way to factory reset the evic? Also I would be curious to know if the previous owner of the evic had larger tires to where I need to re-adjust the tire size in the BCM?
Reset- not that I’m aware of. Tire size wouldn’t matter for the cluster. Besides, too many people have put clusters from 1500s with smaller diameter factory size tires into HDs with larger diameter factory size tires.

enolS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Got a great deal on this upgrade at a salvage yard. However the only thing that lights up is this red light, no display whatsoever. I'm hoping the unit isnt fried. Any suggestions?

Edit: I wonder if there's a setting change after an accident, as the donor truck was involved in one. Perhaps a alfaobd use?
11aafacd6f0df7f89a7099ff2ed40694.jpg
[/URL]

Last edited:

tnctx02

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM SLT
Engine
3.6L Pentastar V6
How do you look up the cluster number to see which year it is? I tried to google it but it kept saying nothing found.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
How do you look up the cluster number to see which year it is? I tried to google it but it kept saying nothing found.
If you are looking online at salvage yards you will get the year and VIN of the donor vehicle from the seller.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

tnctx02

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM SLT
Engine
3.6L Pentastar V6
Thanks for the response, but it is a pulled 7" EVIC for sale. I have a picture of the back with the numbers on it, that's it.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Thanks for the response, but it is a pulled 7" EVIC for sale. I have a picture of the back with the numbers on it, that's it.
Yeah, typically you can ask for the donor VIN and year of vehicle it came out of. Just ask the seller (if it's not already provided)...

tnctx02

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM SLT
Engine
3.6L Pentastar V6
I message and they said there were several pulled and tested and they are mixed up. They don't know which came from which.
Is there any other way without the VIN??

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I message and they said there were several pulled and tested and they are mixed up. They don't know which came from which.
Is there any other way without the VIN??
Do you have the part number? If so post it here...