INFO - 2013-2018 8.4A /AN FW Notes (RA3/VP3-NA & RA4/VP4-NA & UAx)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Mpgrimm2

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
There's no link for the zip on this one, is that just a miss, or do you not have this file? (Of course it's the one I need for my truck...)

-= Rhyas =-

I don't have a confirmed 14 Ra4 VP4-NA file for v17.43.01. if you get one and can share let me know. I just need a vin that will let me download it before someone else does.

M² Mods.

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
There's no link for the zip on this one, is that just a miss, or do you not have this file? (Of course it's the one I need for my truck...)

-= Rhyas =-

Rhyas,
This is a long shot, but it worked for me. When I got my VP4 (out of a 2016) it had been through a couple of owners first and I did not get the VIN, but the radio had a salvage yard stock number on the back in yellow paint marker. The stock number was in LKQ's format. I called them and the stock # was still in their computer system (nationwide system) and they were able to tell me the VIN it had come out of. If you've got such a stock number on the radio it might be worth a shot.

I've been trying to locate the 2014 firmware as well (for the listings here) and I've gone through about 50 eBay and salvage yard 2014 VINs over the last month or so, all of them have been listed as "Up to Date". I think a salvage yard VIN has a better chance of working, as they are more likely to not have been powered on to update.

-K

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I have the file named "UCONNECT_8.4AN_RA4_17.43.01_MY14_NAFTA". @Mpgrimm2, would you like me to PM you a link to host it?

For anyone needing it presently, PM me your email address and I'll send you a link to my Google drive for download (it's uploading now unzipped).

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Mpgrimm2

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I have the file named "UCONNECT_8.4AN_RA4_17.43.01_MY14_NAFTA". @Mpgrimm2, would you like me to PM you a link to host it?

For anyone needing it presently, PM me your email address and I'll send you a link to my Google drive for download (it's uploading now unzipped).

Yes, thank you.

M² Mods.

GordDavey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't have a confirmed 14 Ra4 VP4-NA file for v17.43.01. if you get one and can share let me know. I just need a vin that will let me download it before someone else does.

M² Mods.

Mpgrimm2, I have a VIN from a 2014 VP4 CA (NA Canadian edition) if you would like to use that to get some firmware. It's off a wreck that I have been getting a bunch of parts for. Of course I'll be needing that firmware myself so this offer is just a bit self serving. 2014 VP4 CA Part #68224537AE

GordDavey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wondering how to get Sirius Subscription/Travellink/Traffic and firmware for radio.

I'm putting a 2014 VP4 CA into my 2015. Post 7 has no links to firmware I can see.
I've never had Sirius before and I'd like to try it. To get a subscription do I give it the donor's VIN or my 2015 VIN ? Where can you buy a subscription? or Traffic for the Nav ?
I've seen the link for Map updates from the UK guy on Ebay, is that the best place to get them?
How/Where do you get firmware updates for the VP4 CA ? I've seen screen shots showing you get some software updates from uconnect... but if you don't have uconnect then how do you get them?

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Wondering how to get Sirius Subscription/Travellink/Traffic and firmware for radio.

I'm putting a 2014 VP4 CA into my 2015. Post 7 has no links to firmware I can see.
I've never had Sirius before and I'd like to try it. To get a subscription do I give it the donor's VIN or my 2015 VIN ? Where can you buy a subscription? or Traffic for the Nav ?
I've seen the link for Map updates from the UK guy on Ebay, is that the best place to get them?
How/Where do you get firmware updates for the VP4 CA ? I've seen screen shots showing you get some software updates from uconnect... but if you don't have uconnect then how do you get them?

If you have the donor VIN you can go to the Uconnect site and check to see if there is updated software available for it. If you do get to download some, please let Ghost know here so he can arrange to get a copy for posting (It's not keyed to your specific radio, just to the part #).

https://www.driveuconnect.com/support/software-update.html

For Sirius, I don't think they have a separate CA site, I'd just go to the sirisuxm.com web site and sign up. You''ll need the XM ID off of the radio, not a VIN #. You can get the # by going into the XM settings on the radio.

https://www.siriusxm.com

-K

GordDavey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you have the donor VIN you can go to the Uconnect site and check to see if there is updated software available for it. If you do get to download some, please let Ghost know here so he can arrange to get a copy for posting (It's not keyed to your specific radio, just to the part #).

https://www.driveuconnect.com/support/software-update.html

For Sirius, I don't think they have a separate CA site, I'd just go to the sirisuxm.com web site and sign up. You''ll need the XM ID off of the radio, not a VIN #. You can get the # by going into the XM settings on the radio.

https://www.siriusxm.com

-K
Kad, thanks that helps a lot. One more question if you don’t mind. Is there anything required physically in the the truck to get Traffic as part of the Nav or is it just a paid software extension which for some reason I think I would have to get from Sirius? Perhaps that’s two questions.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Kad, thanks that helps a lot. One more question if you don’t mind. Is there anything required physically in the the truck to get Traffic as part of the Nav or is it just a paid software extension which for some reason I think I would have to get from Sirius? Perhaps that’s two questions.
If you have a Nav activated RA3 you will not be able to get the Travel Link and Real Time Traffic. If you have or install an RA4 factory Nav radio you will have Travelink and Real Time Traffic capabilities. If the free trial period is up on the radio you will need to call Sirus and subscribe. If you have a UAQ 2018/2019 radio it will have the Travelink and Real Time Traffic but you will need to enable it in your BCM it order for it to work.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

GordDavey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you have a Nav activated RA3 you will not be able to get the Travel Link and Real Time Traffic. If you have or install an RA4 factory Nav radio you will have Travelink and Real Time Traffic capabilities. If the free trial period is up on the radio you will need to call Sirus and subscribe. If you have a UAQ 2018/2019 radio it will have the Travelink and Real Time Traffic but you will need to enable it in your BCM it order for it to work.

Ricks Ram, perfect thank you my RA4 came from a 2014 Laramie. Whereas the entire body harness and the BCM comes from a 2014 Sport (don’t ask me why the BCM from the 14 is working in my 15 I don’t know why, just that it is). The 2014 Sport had an RA3 so it sounds like I just need to turn on the right BCM setting with Alfa and if I’ve read this thread correctly it’ll be something to do with SDAR.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ricks Ram, perfect thank you my RA4 came from a 2014 Laramie. Whereas the entire body harness and the BCM comes from a 2014 Sport (don’t ask me why the BCM from the 14 is working in my 15 I don’t know why, just that it is). The 2014 Sport had an RA3 so it sounds like I just need to turn on the right BCM setting with Alfa and if I’ve read this thread correctly it’ll be something to do with SDAR.
No if you are sure your new radio is a 2013 to 2017 RA4 the Travelink/Traffic should be available without turning it on in the BCM Remember the radio needs to say VP4 NA on the back to be a U.S. version factory Nav radio. If it is a VP4 CA (Canada radio) I don't think they have Travelink but I'm not positive. If you have a VP4 NA and you go into your subscription settings you should be able to see if you have Travelink and Real Time Traffic capabilities. The only time you need to enable the SDAR Travelink in the BCM in order for the option to show up is on the 2018 and 2019 UAQ Panasonic radios

GordDavey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No if you are sure your new radio is a 2013 to 2017 RA4 the Travelink/Traffic should be available without turning it on in the BCM Remember the radio needs to say VP4 NA on the back to be a U.S. version factory Nav radio. If it is a VP4 CA (Canada radio) I don't think they have Travelink but I'm not positive. If you have a VP4 NA and you go into your subscription settings you should be able to see if you have Travelink and Real Time Traffic capabilities. The only time you need to enable the SDAR Travelink in the BCM in order for the option to show up is on the 2018 and 2019 UAQ Panasonic radios

Ricks Ram, it’s a VPN4 CA edition. The whole truck is a CA. So I’ll have to figure this one out. I don’t have a subscription and the build sheet listed only a 1yr trial, it’ll be interesting to see if I can get the traffic or not. I’ll have to ask Sirius if it’s available for this radio’s XM Id.
Thanks for the info. This all points me in the right direction, at least I know how to get the software and the xm subscription now and I’ll find out about the traffic. Thanks guys. You’re all very helpful!

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ricks Ram, it’s a VPN4 CA edition. The whole truck is a CA. So I’ll have to figure this one out. I don’t have a subscription and the build sheet listed only a 1yr trial, it’ll be interesting to see if I can get the traffic or not. I’ll have to ask Sirius if it’s available for this radio’s XM Id.
Thanks for the info. This all points me in the right direction, at least I know how to get the software and the xm subscription now and I’ll find out about the traffic. Thanks guys. You’re all very helpful!
Yes I'm pretty sure the VP4 CA version (Canada) does not have Travelink or Traffic but you can check to make sure. If it's not available in the VP4 CA and you decided to go with a VP4 NA radio it would work plug and play no codes needed for the Travekink/Traffic. One other thing I might mention is the 15 and newer VP4 NA radios come with a free 5 year subscription for travelink and real time traffic so if you do end up deciding to go that direction try to get one that's a 15 or newer and it should still be active. My VP4 NA is out of a 2016 and my Travel Link and Traffic free trial doesn't expire until 2021.

GordDavey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes I'm pretty sure the VP4 CA version (Canada) does not have Travelink or Traffic but you can check to make sure. If it's not available in the VP4 CA and you decided to go with a VP4 NA radio it would work plug and play no codes needed for the Travekink/Traffic. One other thing I might mention is the 15 and newer VP4 NA radios come with a free 5 year subscription for travelink and real time traffic so if you do end up deciding to go that direction try to get one that's a 15 or newer and it should still be active. My VP4 NA is out of a 2016 and my Travel Link and Traffic free trial doesn't expire until 2021.

Ricks Ram I’ll keep that in mind. Perhaps we’ll find a newer version before I go to BC in July to finish the last of the electrical and software changes and drive it 3000 miles home.

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI

If you go into the settings on the radio you should be able to see if it has the RTT/Travellink capability, this is the XM subscription settings screen from my 2016 VP4 NA. Like Rick, I'm still running off the free 5 year on the RTT/TL parts:

20181029-113632.jpg

-K

OP
OP
Mpgrimm2

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Alright,
Just uploaded the 2018 USA Ram UAS/4c (Non-Nav) sw update for Application version 22.6 to my Post 8

** use at your own risk ** ... I haven't tested it (edit: @Cstan did), but verified inside the file that it is v22.6 (If you are worried about bricking the radio, take it to the dealer have them do the update)

... as I don't have a copy of the full TSB & Install directions yet (reference the UAQ 21.9 TSB for similar steps)

I will update here if I can get the UAQ file (hopefully in the next few days). IF YOU HAVE A 2018 UAQ 4c NAV ... THIS IS NOT FOR YOU!

M² Mods.

The first two pics are after the update and the second two are in September after the crap update.

View attachment 164734

View attachment 164735

View attachment 164736

View attachment 164737

Audio is better. I say go for it. Thanks again Mpgrimm2

HvyDuty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Alright,
Just uploaded the 2018 USA Ram UAS/4c (Non-Nav) sw update for Application version 22.6 to my Post 8

** use at your own risk ** ... I haven't tested it (edit: @Cstan did), but verified inside the file that it is v22.6 (If you are worried about bricking the radio, take it to the dealer have them do the update)

... as I don't have a copy of the full TSB & Install directions yet (reference the UAQ 21.9 TSB for similar steps)

I will update here if I can get the UAQ file (hopefully in the next few days). IF YOU HAVE A 2018 UAQ 4c NAV ... THIS IS NOT FOR YOU!

M² Mods.

I did this update today on my 2018 UAS. Happy to say that the sound quality has improved. Treble is clear and I can turn the bass past setting 3 now without blowing my speakers. I was getting the random reboot almost daily now. Time will tell if thats been fixed but so far so good. Thanks Mpgrimm2!!!

WarEagleEE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have a VP4 (68224525AE) from a 2014 Ram that has 17.43.01 software. Want to roll the software back to 17.11.01 to enable the cargo cam input. Talked to Navrepair and they are no longer able to do this. Does anyone know someone who can roll back software to an earlier version?

Understand a lockpic device is an option and am looking at those in case there is no one who can roll back the software.

Thanks in advance!

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I have a VP4 (68224525AE) from a 2014 Ram that has 17.43.01 software. Want to roll the software back to 17.11.01 to enable the cargo cam input. Talked to Navrepair and they are no longer able to do this. Does anyone know someone who can roll back software to an earlier version?

Understand a lockpic device is an option and am looking at those in case there is no one who can roll back the software.

Thanks in advance!
I would stay away from the lockpick unless you can get it for dirt cheap...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jems007