INFO - 2013-2018 8.4A /AN FW Notes (RA3/VP3-NA & RA4/VP4-NA & UAx)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Mpgrimm2

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Reach out to United Radio in New York. They are supposedly the authorized FCA repair facility for the radios and may be able to do it.

Customtronix also has their Enigma and ENZO interface modules for the 8.4 radio that may be an option for adding cameras.

M² Mods.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I just updated a VP4 NA radio. The VIN said it was 2016 RAM 3500. The part number on the back was 68270661AG. I downloaded the UCONNECT_8.4AN_RA4_17.43.01_MY16_NAFTA.zip firmware and the radio said wrong bootloader, model year does not match and the update failed. I downloaded UCONNECT_8.4AN_RA4_17.43.01_MY15_NAFTA.zip and it worked fine.

Interestingly enough when Sirius activated the radio it seems their records show the radio number going to a 2017 RAM 3500. I tried UCONNECT_8.4AN_RA4_17.43.01_MY17_NAFTA.zip but the radio said it couldn't read the drive. Tried another drive and same result. I noticed this update did not have the swdl.iso file while the 2015 & 2016 files contain the iso. I have all 3 firmware files if want them for this thread.

OP
OP
Mpgrimm2

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
When you go into the dealer menu... What PN does it report?

Wondering if your real is preferred together from various parts, it's rare but does happen from time to time.

M² Mods.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Here is the radio info. After the upgrade the attached text file was written to the thumbdrive. I purchased the unlock code from IVGSoft and the P/N was definitely 68270661AG on the back of the radio. The build sheet from RAM says the VIN is model year 2016. At the bottom are these lines;

old part number with suffix =>
68270661AG
new ecu part number is =>
68270661AH
ECU part number Update successful

Software Update successfully completed
Version = 17.09.01

20190726_212054.jpg

Attachments

• swdlLog.txt
    32.8 KB · Views: 5
OP
OP
Mpgrimm2

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Perhaps the donor truck was an early 16 that was actually built in 15 and they had 15 radios in stock at the assembly plant. My RAM is MY16 but the VIN sticker says it was manufactured 9/15. The RAM build sheet says my truck is an MY16.

Oh well the radio is working fine. Not sure I'll keep it since I am still going back and forth on the VP4-NA versus the UAQ. I am perturbed they took voice text out of the UAQ because Android Auto and its voice texting sucks.

I am ready to go Samuel L. Jackson on it. Say "I didn't get that" just one more GD time. English motherf%^ker, do you speak it?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mpgrimm2

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Perhaps the donor truck was an early 16 that was actually built in 15 and they had 15 radios in stock at the assembly plant. My RAM is MY16 but the VIN sticker says it was manufactured 9/15. The RAM build sheet says my truck is an MY16.

Oh well the radio is working fine. Not sure I'll keep it since I am still going back and forth on the VP4-NA versus the UAQ. I am perturbed they took voice text out of the UAQ because Android Auto and its voice texting sucks.

I am ready to go Samuel L. Jackson on it. Say "I didn't get that" just one more GD time. English motherf%^ker, do you speak it?
That's the main reason I pulled my UAQ out and put the RA4 back in. I just prefer the RA4 over the UAQ. I feel it has better sound quality I like the screen themes better and I like the voice texting. If I had an iPhone I would probably put the UAQ back in but I am definitely not a big fan of the Android Auto either.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Austen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
That's the main reason I pulled my UAQ out and put the RA4 back in. I just prefer the RA4 over the UAQ. I feel it has better sound quality I like the screen themes better and I like the voice texting. If I had an iPhone I would probably put the UAQ back in but I am definitely not a big fan of the Android Auto either.

I can voice text with my UAQ I put in my 2017 Tradesman. Will yours not work? I have seen a couple people say they can't voice text with the UAQ but I don't notice a difference between the UAQ and RA4 voice texting. I might be missing something though.

17' CCSB 4X4 68RFE 2500 6.7 Tradesman DRP EGR delete, CTT tuning w/TCM tuning, UAQ w/7 speed HVAC, 7" premium EVIC, OEM front Parksense, OEM style front camera, aux switches

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can voice text with my UAQ I put in my 2017 Tradesman. Will yours not work? I have seen a couple people say they can't voice text with the UAQ but I don't notice a difference between the UAQ and RA4 voice texting. I might be missing something though.

17' CCSB 4X4 68RFE 2500 6.7 Tradesman DRP EGR delete, CTT tuning w/TCM tuning, UAQ w/7 speed HVAC, 7" premium EVIC, OEM front Parksense, OEM style front camera, aux switches
No, my UAQ will only voice text when connected to android auto or apple car play. The RA4 will voice text without apple car play or android auto and without being plugged into the media hub but only when you have an android phone.

Austen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
No, my UAQ will only voice text when connected to android auto or apple car play. The RA4 will voice text without apple car play or android auto and without being plugged into the media hub but only when you have an android phone.

I'm going to try it when I get off work and let you know I'm assuming it's the same with all of them

Austen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

I wish I could post a video because mine will voice text without Android auto running (my phone is not plugged in) it was a brand new UAQ when I bought it several months ago. Only difference between my Android Auto texting and UAQ VR is with VR I have to use a pre defined message from the radio that I speak where as with Android Auto you can say whatever you wish. My RA4 I had the ability to say whatever I wanted as well because my Customtronix Enigma Premium disabled motion lockout features. Now I just use Android auto with my UAQ.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wish I could post a video because mine will voice text without Android auto running (my phone is not plugged in) it was a brand new UAQ when I bought it several months ago. Only difference between my Android Auto texting and UAQ VR is with VR I have to use a pre defined message from the radio that I speak where as with Android Auto you can say whatever you wish. My RA4 I had the ability to say whatever I wanted as well because my Customtronix Enigma Premium disabled motion lockout features. Now I just use Android auto with my UAQ.

That's exactly what I was saying I cannot voice text with the UAQ unless plugged into Android Auto. I have to use the pre defined messages. With my RA4 I can speak to the radio without the phone plugged in and it will dictate whatever message I say. Both radios will read incoming messages without being plugged into the phone but only the RA4 will (Voice) text outgoing messages without using predefined messages. I don't have the Customtronics. All the RA4 radios have this capability.

Austen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
That's exactly what I was saying I cannot voice text with the UAQ unless plugged into Android Auto. I have to use the pre defined messages. With my RA4 I can speak to the radio without the phone plugged in and it will dictate whatever message I say. Both radios will read incoming messages without being plugged into the phone but only the RA4 will (Voice) text outgoing messages without using predefined messages. I don't have the Customtronics. All the RA4 radios have this capability.

That's interesting I could have sworn my RA4 would only do pre-defined messages when I would respond. Maybe it would I thought it would only do so with my Customtronix but I can deal with it. Really stupid that the UAQs won't. People tend to do away with many useful features on products anymore that are very sought-after.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's interesting I could have sworn my RA4 would only do pre-defined messages when I would respond. Maybe it would I thought it would only do so with my Customtronix but I can deal with it. Really stupid that the UAQs won't. People tend to do away with many useful features on products anymore that are very sought-after.

It's a paid feature on the RA4 with your Uconnect subscription when your truck comes equipped with the radio from the factory. In most cases it works when the radio reboots when you install it in another truck and enter the security code. It says removing subscription. For whatever reason the voice texting still works in most cases. Mine has worked for 3 years with no issues. If it doesn't work installing it in another truck and then back to your truck will usually turn it back on. Your RA4 may have been one of the ones that needed to be reset. I'm assuming they took the option away with the UAQ because it has the ability to text through Android Auto or Apple CarPlay. I just don't like having to be hooked up to Android Auto to text. I don't care for the way it works. I might stick the UAQ back in and try it a little longer but I wasn't to impressed with it when I tried it the first time.

Lawsuit11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's a paid feature on the RA4 with your Uconnect subscription when your truck comes equipped with the radio from the factory. In most cases it works when the radio reboots when you install it in another truck and enter the security code. It says removing subscription. For whatever reason the voice texting still works in most cases. Mine has worked for 3 years with no issues. If it doesn't work installing it in another truck and then back to your truck will usually turn it back on. Your RA4 may have been one of the ones that needed to be reset. I'm assuming they took the option away with the UAQ because it has the ability to text through Android Auto or Apple CarPlay. I just don't like having to be hooked up to Android Auto to text. I don't care for the way it works. I might stick the UAQ back in and try it a little longer but I wasn't to impressed with it when I tried it the first time.

Yeah with me having an iPhone I didn’t have any ability to message with the ra2 Through Bluetooth so the UAQ was the way to go with CarPlay. That’s all I use on my UAQ is the Apple CarPlay for everything but the Nav. I like the factory Nav better with the evic turn by turn.

I just want to figure out how to use wireless CarPlay. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greg nardos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just updated a VP4 NA radio. The VIN said it was 2016 RAM 3500. The part number on the back was 68270661AG. I downloaded the UCONNECT_8.4AN_RA4_17.43.01_MY16_NAFTA.zip firmware and the radio said wrong bootloader, model year does not match and the update failed. I downloaded UCONNECT_8.4AN_RA4_17.43.01_MY15_NAFTA.zip and it worked fine.

Interestingly enough when Sirius activated the radio it seems their records show the radio number going to a 2017 RAM 3500. I tried UCONNECT_8.4AN_RA4_17.43.01_MY17_NAFTA.zip but the radio said it couldn't read the drive. Tried another drive and same result. I noticed this update did not have the swdl.iso file while the 2015 & 2016 files contain the iso. I have all 3 firmware files if want them for this thread.

Can I get a copy of the MY15 and MY16 I am having the same problem

OP
OP
Mpgrimm2

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Sharing this here thanks to @Dodgetk81 (added to Post 8) ....

UAx Reset Methods:
1) Pull the battery or remove the inline fuse near the brake booster.

2) - Needs Verified - Press/Hold the on screen 'Phone' button and 'upper right corner' together for 15 secs.

2018 Jeep UAQ (tested in 18Ram2500 by Dodgetk81)
PN: 683306656AD

rgardjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Sharing this here thanks to @Dodgetk81 (added to Post 8) ....

2) - Needs Verified - Press/Hold the on screen 'Phone' button and 'upper right corner' together for 15 secs.

2018 Jeep UAQ (tested in 18Ram2500 by Dodgetk81)
PN: 683306656AD

This did not work on my UAQ out of a 2018 Jeep Compass