Upper Glove Box Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MikeP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I cant for the life of me find the plug for the glovebox light. Anyone have pics of where its located?

Sent from my SIII using Tapatalk 2

paulycoppola5

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
this is a nice upgrade...don't think I'd throw $200 at it but if i found the parts cheap I'd certainly add the enlcosed storage, rather than having my cubby. As far as controlling my iphone from the headunit, I'd rather just plug it into the aux port toss it in the cupholder and thumb my way thru my phone/playlists instead, its just quicker, as well as highly illegal in NYS, then again everything is illegal in NYS.

DVS

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So if you just wanted the USB plug, can you just get a standard USB cable and plug it into the red and black plug in the back with the front of the cable accessible from in front of the dash?

For those who are interested in adding a $5 USB cable only and being able to connect and charge devices, the answer is "yes"

ATOM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
so you mean i can just slip in a usb cable for my iphone and use it that way and charge it?

2K10HemiRam

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Hometown: Tacoma, WA Stationed: Alamogordo NM
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
so you mean i can just slip in a usb cable for my iphone and use it that way and charge it?

The basic radios do not have a usb cord. unless you get one of the higher quality radio's that come with a touch screen and a usb plug, you won't be able to charge your iphone. The basic radio's like mine with button and knobs cannot charge a iphone. I don't know radio model numbers btw...

danfordfwh87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
i was under the assumption that if you have uconnect then you have to usb outlet its just tucked back in the wire loom behind the cubby bin.

ATOM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
yea i looked today, no hook up. just going with a pioneer dvd, then i can get my bluetooth and usb, as well as a hookup for my backup cam, way cheaper than the oem way

Sch123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Nice write up. I have the same truck. Same. Interior too. I want to do same thing so thank you. I also just bought upgraded evic to install later. I hope all goes well with that. I'm having trouble finding steering wheel with radio controls used. I am installing aftermarket non navigational DVD stereo with Bluetooth at same time. I will have to post how it all goes. Thanks again.

Last edited:

dustinslee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I like this I believe its a ad on for me some day!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Mutt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am doing this in my 2012 Express also, only I am using the Dark Slate parts. If any one would like those part numbers, just let me know & I will post them

Hemi Joe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The basic radios do not have a usb cord. unless you get one of the higher quality radio's that come with a touch screen and a usb plug, you won't be able to charge your iphone. The basic radio's like mine with button and knobs cannot charge a iphone. I don't know radio model numbers btw...

Not true, if you have Uconnect, you have the USB plug. I did this mod to my truck a year ago.

Mutt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well, it's finally nice outside so time for a little upgrade. I went a slightly different route than some with my 2012 Express. I wanted to have a Dark Slate upper box, not the lighter upper dash color. Everything went smooth as could be.

As soon as I took it apart, I lowered the wiring harness. As soon as I did, the switch light plug was there

002-20_zps34778b2f.jpg

After looking at the U Connect box (to the right of the upper box opening, on the hinge pillar), I saw that there was a plug in the smaller opening, so I was pre-wired. I found the upper glove box end of the harness to the left side closest to the center of the dash. It was tucked under these braces, just kinda hanging back there.

006-6_zps82af6da1.jpg

The final product

008-7_zpsa42bfab6.jpg

fcr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That looks good Mutt, nice work. Could you add a pic of it open too?

nspector65

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought a used one off of Ebay. I was lucky enough to get a light with this kit but I can not find the wiring harness for the light. Any help would be appreciated.

Mutt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I bought a used one off of Ebay. I was lucky enough to get a light with this kit but I can not find the wiring harness for the light. Any help would be appreciated.

Once you have the upper bin out, you will see the big wiring harness right in front of you. Release a few clips so the harness will drop down a little. VERY CAREFULLY trim back/cut some of the tape that is wrapped around the harness. Mine was right under the tape.

Do keep something in mind when looking for things like this. Things like wiring harnesses are put together by multiple shifts in different factories. I would not expect them all to be assembled in one exact fashion. Kinda like when you open a package of hotdog rolls, the twist tie may be put on by a right handed person OR a left handed person.

Just take your time.. it's in there somewhere

nspector65

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is it possible that on the ST that they did not do the wiring harness? I have looked all up in there and can not find it.

Jared4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Bighorn CC
Engine
What all colors are the upper door offered in? Trying to find the glovebox for a 2013 Express with interior that looks black!

SuperRam09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was trying to figure out how to take the top lid off...?