1st oil change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

badfish45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
What's the best to use for your 1st oil change? 2015 Ram 1500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RodRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
many switch to full synthetic and the preferred seems to be Pennzoil ultra if you can find it or platinum if not, some are trying 5-30 but ram says 5-20 only if it has the MDS system. I went with 5-20 PP Walmart has it , best filter, fram ultra or mobil one or royal purple for synthetic oil, or get your reading glasses on and join this looooong running debate/topic its interesting....
http://www.ramforum.com/f44/synthetic_oil-27664/index185.html#post1202216

Last edited:

badfish888

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 hemi express
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I'm only commenting because of the OP's sweet member name.
As stated in a diff post. I'm at 90k miles I run conventional oil, and a purolator or wix filter. I just think having an anti drain back valve is what I look for, Other wise she taps like crazy on start up.

Any way. For the first 50k miles I used cast roll gtx. 5 20. Then local place stopped caring it so I switched to valvoline conventional 520. About a week ago, I popped the valve covers. And she looks brand new. So. I feel bad for the guy with the sludge issue at 25k. As I dunno how the hell that happened.

OP
OP
badfish45

badfish45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Thanks for the replies guys. And badfish888, you got a good name also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tsc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm gonna use Pennzoil Platinum---Just because I got it on sale.

Not sure about the V6. But the V8 has a change interval of 12 months or 10K Mi.

One fully synthetic oil change is cheaper then 2 conventional oil changes.

My truck does more sitting, then driving/idling.

So I'm more worried about the oil breaking down from sitting, then running. In my mind it's cheap piece of mind. I can't tell you if synthetic is better then conventional or if brand X is better then brand Y.

But the Pennzoil platinum is recommended by the manufacturer and I got it on sale.

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
TCS...Think about this for a sec when it comes to oil break down....How long was it in the ground before it makes it to a bottle on a shelf??

What kills the oil sorta speak is when you spark her up,idle it 10 minutes,drive to a store 3 minutes,shut it off for 5 min and then back home..That type of driveing and sometimes alot of idleing ...AGAIn its not that the oil breks down but in actually its the oils additive package that gets over come with contaminates..
If you bought your truck,changed the oil in your yard and never ever started it again,that oil would not change..

you tube has vids on flow ability when cold and warm and protection...Take a lil time and teach yourself a lil piece of mind..
I was a royal purple fan till i saw that when its cold,its a slow mover to places where it needs to be,protection was awsome but just slow gettin to where it needs to be if you live in a cold part of the world like me in novascotia...On a cold winter start up i want oil where it needs to be in a second not 3,6,10 seconds later..