How to install hid headlights correctly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dmuney

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L HO Cummins
Ok so here is my secret on how to install any hid kit into a 3rd gen ram and up maybe 2nd gen too not sure

Guaranteed not to flicker and no lamp out indicator , you need to be tech savvy or know your electronics

Here is how I did mine 1st test the wires at headlight bulb you need to know all 3 the middle one is ground but not for the hid's 2nd take out the headlights and destroy them save you from having to buy 2 connectors to plug into the headlight wiring I used a bench grinder but be careful 3 grabbed two relays for each side 1 for low 1 for high and also grabbed 2 1157 brake light bulbs ( they keep the lamp out indicator off) 4th take your homemade connector and the 1157 solder wires to the high ground and low of the conectors the solder the wires to the 1157 bulb and only importance here is the ground 5th paint the 1157 black several times ( paint black so you don't see them glowing in the dark) 6th tap into your new harness you need the high and low wires only these will activate your relays 7th wiring your relays take both relays and wire pins 86 together this is your relay ground wire pins 85 to you high and low wires coming from your custom harness you made 8th The low relay wire pin 87 to battery + and pin 30 to hid ballast + wire you can also wire ballast - wire to pin 86 of relay as for pin 87a you'll wire it in the next step 9th high relay wire battery + to pin 30 pin 87 to the wire that activates the high' function of hid's and also wire pin 87 of the high relay to pin 87a of the low relay ( so when you switch from low to high the headlights don't turn off while driving) 10th test everything make sure it all works like it's supposed to the put everything wherever it needs to be mount relays mount ballasts tidy up your wiring and hide your 1157 somewhere you won't see it 11th enjoy you fully functioning hid's

I did this install on my 2005 ram 2500 diesel and have not had a single problem with my headlights what so ever

Ps make sure you remember which wire and relays are high and which are low if you mix them up your new lights could activate opposite of each other I found that one out during my install

05 Ram 5.9 Cummins Sundown Audio Old School PPI

OP
OP
D

dmuney

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L HO Cummins
It may seem like it could be a lot of work but I did it all in 2hrs or so.

Probably working on something

Ajwalk2008

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought my kits from opt7 and havn't had a problem yet just added their capacitor so the lamp out indicator wouldn't come on.