Pennzoil Platinum Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am new to the forum and some what awkward on the guidelines. So if I mess up a bit , please guide me in the right direction.
I have an issue with Pennzoil Platinum 5w-20 for my Ram.
I thought I would try it because it seems like a a good oil on most of the information I read about.
One item however that I recalled mentioned a sediment on the bottom of the container after the guy pour the oil into his vehicle. I thought little of it and dismissed it.
I bought the oil and put it in my truck, and then looked in the bottom of the container. Sure enough a black heaver liquid material was left on the bottom. It resembled, the best I can describe it, a very fine material, black in color, heavier than the oil. The other bottles had the same material in the bottom of them. I had no other oil to put in the truck , so I continued to pour the Pennzoil into the engine so I could get where I need to go..
I searched the internet for answers and ended up at a Pennzoil site. The site claim, additives do NOT settle to the bottom of their oils.
So here are my concerns:
1. if Pennzoil says their additives do not settle out of the oil, what is the black stuff in the bottom of the containers?
2. If I choose not to believe Pennzoil and tend to believe it is the additives which settle out of the oil, then how many people put the oil in their vehicles with most of the additive package missing, still on the bottom of the container?
3. If the the addictive is truly left in the container, what kind of performance does the oil actually have?
4. How long does does it take the additive to settle out of the oil? The bottle dated was 28 March 2016, less than 3 months ago was when it was bottled.
5. If it settles out of the oil in a shorter period of time, does the oil additives lay on the bottom of the pan when the vehicle engine is running.
6. If the additives are so big I can see them so easily, will the filter remove them from the oil?
7. If the bottle needs to be shaken before you put the oil in your car, why doesn't it state it on the bottle directions?
I have been thinking about these questions for a while. I am hoping some of you guys can shed some light on this dilemma for me.
Thanks again guys

big_red06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Bighorn
Engine
hemi 5.7
I use Pennzoil platinum ultra 5-20 in my truck and like the way it performs truck runs smooth and quiet . I did not notice any stuff in the containers when I did my oil change .I buy it on amazon and Pennzoil has great rebates so the savings are nice for a quality oil just wish it had more availability locally have only found the ultra online

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Shake the bottle and quit worrying so much.

whetrick1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I still find at walmart. And yours was probably well shankened in transport. lol [emoji868]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

big_red06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Bighorn
Engine
hemi 5.7
Pennzoil platinum I've seen in local stores But I use the ultra and have only been able to get it off amazon I'm not complaining tho the price is great

misuracaf10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've used Ultra Platinum and have never seen anything at the bottom. I'm not sure what to make of it maybe ask in the Synthetic Oil thread if there are no helpful responses anytime soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
i am sure that it is nothing that is going to hurt your truck. i use PP also and have the sediment in the bottle once in awhile. have also seen it in M! years ago in the 1990s.