Torque Wrench Options?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

C3ntury

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Ram 1500 CC Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Heya Garage Junkies :D

I'm looking to purchase an all-around torque wrench and wondering what you suggest. I am looking to spend between $100-$200, but I don't want crap either (I stay away from Harbor Freight like the plague). Any reliable brands or spec. options to consider?

Any help is appreciated! (yes, I google'd first) ;)

parttimer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'll admit, I used a harbor freight click one, I also have a bar style from Sears along with torque sticks, all usually measure about the same.

Ram4.7L

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I use snap-on when im working on tractors at where I work, we have a 3/8, 1/2, and 3/4 click adjustable's. They work great and are reliable.

SafetyMan43

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Craftsman makes a decent tq wrench.

I have 3, and am in the market for a very low in/lb 1/4 drive.

Stay away from cheap.... you get what you pay for, however, my cousin is a Snap On dealer, and he told me to go get a Craftsman, if I'm not earning my living with it and using it every day....

OP
OP
C

C3ntury

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Ram 1500 CC Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you for the replies. What do you think about Kobalt (I do like their product lines)? Any reason to consider digital vs clickable? Would it be best to start with a 1/2 drive for working on my truck?

Thanks again :)

joeg45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Mine are for work I use snap on 1/4 and 3/8 as I rarely use Anything more than that on a plane I have a craftsman 3/8 one at home seems to check out on each other

CKH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Thank you for the replies. What do you think about Kobalt (I do like their product lines)? Any reason to consider digital vs clickable? Would it be best to start with a 1/2 drive for working on my truck?

Thanks again :)

Kobalt, Husky, Craftsman will do the job just fine, you can find Snap on or Matco tools on sale on ebay for a good price sometimes. I would suggest a clicker type wrench with a half inch drive, adjustable between 20-150 ft lbs or 10-150 ft lbs if you can find one. A 10-150 ft lb will cover you for everything from spark plugs to lug nuts. You can always buy an adapter to use it with 3/8 sockets as well.

Motorcharge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've got a 1/2" Kobalt one at home I almost like better than my Snap On one I use at work. I think I only paid like $60-70 for it and the same company that makes Matco's tools is making Kobalt's sockets and wrenches right now. My only complaint about it is it only goes to 110 ft/lbs instead of 120 and I've needed 120 a couple times.

I've been buying up a lot of their sockets and wrenches to keep at home while they're making decent tools again (the original ones were the same as Blue Point then they went to **** for a while). They're fairly priced and I've yet to break anything from them and the warranty on them is better than my Snap On stuff is. They'll even replace my sockets out of sets if I lose one.

chrisb38002

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I picked up a CDI 20-150lb at Amazon a few months ago for a little over $100. So far it has worked fine, has a good locking mechanism and confortable grip. Like was said before, basically same as snap-on.

RNLefever

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a craftsman, a snap on, and a matco for in at my work, craftsman is a decent torque wrench for the price, not a big fan of the plastic locking collar though, the snap on was bought off of craigslist for $75 and I couldn't be happier with it, I like the slide locking collar, the matco one is along the same line as the snap on one, but the turn locking collar on it is not so easy to lock at times. A couple other mechanics have an SK torque wrench and would par it with mac, matco, or snap on but a fraction on the cost. Hope this is helpful.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I have a half inch craftsman I paid like 70 on sale. I recommend craftsman if your not making your living with it. I've torqued heads down on 900 horse big blocks and it's accurate, and I'm happy with it. If I were spending 200 on torque wrenchs I would buy a 1/2, 3/8 in ft lbs craftsman, and a 1/4 in lb wrench you would probably be the way I would go. Options are great :signs1:

r35j1s

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 and 2008
Engine
5.7 in both
I calibrate tools for a living. We have a lot of snap-on torque wrenches here and I very rarely have one that will calibrate the first go around without making internal adjustments to it. These wrenches get calibrated every 12 months and almost always fail the first time. I am not a fan of them. at home I have a Gear wrench brand and I was surprised that it was within .5lbs thru out its range both times that I have calibrated it. I can't speak for any of the other brands except CDI and it is similar to the snap-on. They normally require some adjustments at calibration time. I am not saying they are bad but over a years time they will be off by 3-5 pounds thru out the range. Keep in mind, these wrenches get used on a daily basis and my gear wrench does not. If you don't have calibration equipment, then you realy can't say for sure that your wrench is even close. All you know is that it clicks and that's it.

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My HF one is used for lug nuts. Thats it. Hopefully will be rebuilding a Chrysler 413 soon, so ill probably pick up a craftsman or similarly priced.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990