Vinyl Wraps and Plast-Dip Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SRR Racing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Awesome idea, because powder coating plastic works extremely well. Some people just love to see their own words pop up on threads don't the?

shibby927

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Save your money do it the right way.

There's not a damn thing wrong with plasti-dip. Dirt cheap, comes off easy. Not everyone wants a permanent solution. I don't have anything on my current truck plasti dipped, but on my previous truck I had the wheels and grille done at different points and people were asking me if I had everything powder coated. If people didn't widely know what plasti-dip was due to the current popularity nobody would've known a difference.

To each his or her own.

Last edited:

Jerzey111

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have to say that "do it the right way" statement ****** me of a little. Like the other person said, not everyone wants to take the permanent step for whatever reason.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have to say that "do it the right way" statement ****** me of a little. Like the other person said, not everyone wants to take the permanent step for whatever reason.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Aside from that, the "dip" products have come a loooong way. I know people with award-winning show cars and six figure exotics that are done entirely in "dip".

Here's a few folks who couldn't afford to "do it the right way".
320c5be85180ef649144d0ff56bdcb49.jpg

97e56937dd1d412fff2f913eaae28810.jpg

b4b30b439f4051f96aa1fb265e0c481f.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

benjamin247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Posted these alot lately:

Here are my wrapped front and rear bumpers on my Outdoorsman. Less than $300 at a local tint shop with 5 year no peel or fade warrenty.

XfUMYp.jpg
Ucla5K.jpg

That wrap looks like it matched your factory paint perfectly! Can people tell it's a wrap?

Ferro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There's not a damn thing wrong with plasti-dip. Dirt cheap, comes off easy. Not everyone wants a permanent solution. I don't have anything on my current truck plasti dipped, but on my previous truck I had the wheels and grille done at different points and people were asking me if I had everything powder coated. If people didn't widely know what plasti-dip was due to the current popularity nobody would've known a difference.

To each his or her own.

If it's not a permanent thing then I'm sure that stuff is great then. It's just something I would never use either painted or powder coated. I'm sure me having OCD does not help either. Lol I go for the and result. Plastic dip will never give you the end result like paint or powder coat ever well that's all I'm saying. But like you said it's only temporar.

Last edited:

Ferro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did not mean to ruffle any feathers. But the world I come from building custom bikes plastic dip would never cut it. And people that are plastic dipping cars and winning big awards I would love to meet that judge. Plastic dip will never give you this kind of result And to me it's all about the end result. I am very picky and what I do. Blame OCD for that. Lol.

Attachments

• IMG_1338.jpg
    IMG_1338.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_0937.jpg
    IMG_0937.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_0256.jpg
    IMG_0256.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 153

Chisox

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That wrap looks like it matched your factory paint perfectly! Can people tell it's a wrap?

I'm thinking this process works best on black.
It does not have the metal flake look but it does match pretty well. No one has been able to tell yet. I've gotten a ton of positive response. My only worry is scratches, if by chance one of the bumpers gets scratched I guess I'll pay the $150 and do it again but so far so good.

shibby927

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Did not mean to ruffle any feathers. But the world I come from building custom bikes plastic dip would never cut it. And people that are plastic dipping cars and winning big awards I would love to meet that judge. Plastic dip will never give you this kind of result And to me it's all about the end result. I am very picky and what I do. Blame OCD for that. Lol.

I think everyone knows custom paint is the way to go if you want something permanent, and something that looks awesome. Plasti-dip is a more cost effective means for people who just want to temporarily change the look of their vehicle. Of course the quality would never be on par with paint, paint can cost thousands of dollars and requires more love and affection to be done right. Plasti-dip is like $6.00 to $10.00 and comes in rattle cans.

Plasti-dip has other uses as well. If you're trying to keep your wheels nice during the winter, or some other part of your vehicle it acts as a barrier between the elements. So there's more use to it than one might think.

OP
OP
B

benjamin247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Great points on both sides regarding thoughts on wraps and dip. This thread is meant to showcase those that have already done it, or those thinking of doing it and want to see examples or to get ideas. Let's stick to just that. There have been some awesome pictures so far...keep them coming!

JerryLtowIt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum V6
Plasti-dip is like $6.00 to $10.00 and comes in rattle cans.

Plasti-dip has other uses as well. If you're trying to keep your wheels nice during the winter, or some other part of your vehicle it acts as a barrier between the elements. So there's more use to it than one might think.

Those are awesome ideas! I've used it to black out the windows in my band room/cave. Since the variety of colors is not exactly staggering, I plastic-dip the piece and then spray on my color of choice. When I'm tired of the color, or want a change...bam! No sandpaper, blasting, or chemicals like strippers. I really like the stuff, and there are videos of people with mad skills using this stuff. Rock on Plasti-dippers! [emoji482][emoji481]

Lots of closet Plasti-dippers....
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shibby927

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
On another note just paid my own vinyl guy for materials, and when he gets those in I'll be getting the grille on my big horn vinyl wrapped. Can't wait. I am keeping the chrome inserts, but I like the sort of Outdoorsman look with the painted grille, chrome bumpers, and wheels. Thinking about swapping all my badging for black badging as well. Don't want to go full on blacked out, too many people doing that nowadays, I gotta be a little different!

tim57

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
Wraps versus Paint

Car/Truck wraps can be a great alternative to paint, or powder coat. Just make sure you do your home work and don't look for a cheap way out. Just as with custom paint, the end product will only be as good as the quality of materials and installer's skill level. Always ask to see first hand examples of the wrap installers portfolio. Professional wraps aren't cheap $4000 for a truck would be a good ballpark estimate, depending on what type of materials used. Even the best materials, 3M being one of those will only warranty the vinyl for 5 years. Don't waste your time or money trying to cover up bad paint or body damage, you won't be happy with the results. Just my two cents.

Attachments

• SAM_0441.jpg
    SAM_0441.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 150
  • SAM_0443.jpg
    SAM_0443.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 177

Shiftey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
89cb0b23f809642ef0eb146a6ff7ed59.jpg3d88d49fa4da720b184cdc3cb90ab9c8.jpg

I dipped my grille, ram on hood, fuel cover, rims and all emblems about 13 months ago and everything is still in decent shape. I live in Alberta, Canada so the temps fluctuate a lot throughout the year and it has held up very well, if I would have taken the wheels off to spray they wouldn't be peeling back as much. I only give it a little spray every couple months or so. The grille gets chipped just like the paint on the new fords but you can just give it a spray in the one spot a couple times and it looks as good as new or close enough.

JerryLtowIt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum V6
save your money??? how much is a can of pd??.anyone have any luck with the duplicolor custom wrap?

The PD is around $7 per can. The duplicolor is $10 per can.
I used the Custom Wrap (carbon black) for my wheels and I like it.
cb925e8a8462ef9f0900bce44110b8aa.jpg

OP
OP
B

benjamin247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
On another note just paid my own vinyl guy for materials, and when he gets those in I'll be getting the grille on my big horn vinyl wrapped. Can't wait. I am keeping the chrome inserts, but I like the sort of Outdoorsman look with the painted grille, chrome bumpers, and wheels. Thinking about swapping all my badging for black badging as well. Don't want to go full on blacked out, too many people doing that nowadays, I gotta be a little different!

Did you get your grill wrapped yet? Just made an appointment for next week to get my chrome bumpers and grill wrapped. Gonna go with white bumpers to match my factory paint (white) and then gloss black grill. Still contemplating if I should do gloss black or matte black for the grill though.

shibby927

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Did you get your grill wrapped yet? Just made an appointment for next week to get my chrome bumpers and grill wrapped. Gonna go with white bumpers to match my factory paint (white) and then gloss black grill. Still contemplating if I should do gloss black or matte black for the grill though.

Sure did!

Thinking about getting the door handles, and the mirrors wrapped as well once the weather gets better.

Last edited: