Help with foglight HID install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CTYHNTR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I ordered these waaaay back in December and am finally getting around to actually installing them. The I hit a snag with how the hell the bulb is supposed to go into the fog light assembly. There doesnt appear to be any kind of gasket (or manual to refer to for that matter) to keep water out of the fog light. Basically it just appears that i stick the bulb in the assembly and put this little wire bracket in to hold it in place. Is that really it? Also, what the heck does this tiny black and red wire do (its not for the halos, I know that much)? Thanks!

20130526_150552.jpg

20130526_150600.jpg

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
The U clip, flip that over. the top of the U goes in the holes up top, the bottom slides in the lower part. Bulbs, there is no grommet needed on those, shouldn't have an issue. I wish I could ship with those in, but with the extra depth of the projectors - they just don't fit.

The secondary black / red wires are for the bixenon function. 99% of us won't use it, because it would take some wiring to get it fully functional - and not something that most will do - but I leave it there, just in case. Don't want to limit functionality.

OP
OP
C

CTYHNTR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the quick response JJ. I got them in but now only the passenger side lights up, not sure whats causing that.

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
Could be quite a few things. First thing is do you have good grounds? Have you tried swapping ballasts to see if the problem follows it to the drivers side?

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
first thing I'd do is unplug the ballast, flip the plug 180 degrees and plug it back in. :D

It gets me all the time, freakin' polarity.

OP
OP
C

CTYHNTR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
00Thanks for the ideas guys. So since I already installed the ballasts before checking them (d'oh!), I decided id save swapping for tomorrow, also the polarity swap didnt work. What I did try is swap the bulbs around and strangely enough neither of them worked when I did that :wtf: so I switched them back and again only one of them works again. Also since the ballast for the headlight is the same and in close proximity I tried using that one and it still doesnt work.:nono:

Kinda weird because i thought I would have more trouble with the headlights since theres more to do, but those work great. The fogs are basically plug and play so Im a little bewildered by this issue unless either the bulb or ballast is bad.

One question about the headlights though is on the directions it mentioned there should be a 2 second delay when I turn them off, but they turn right off when I switch them off, is that bad?

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
Ok......

swapping bulbs and both don't work in fog A......makes me think ballast.

But

Used the ballast from the working head to the fog, and it doesn't work, makes me thing bulb.

Something seems a bit off right there.

On the 2 second delay, you did that while the truck is off right?

OP
OP
C

CTYHNTR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok......

swapping bulbs and both don't work in fog A......makes me think ballast.

But

Used the ballast from the working head to the fog, and it doesn't work, makes me thing bulb.

Something seems a bit off right there.
Yeah unless by some miracle odds I matched a bad ballast and bulb together on the first try I don't know whats going on there. Its a simple plug and play setup no grounds or anything so its no like there's anything to screw up.

On the 2 second delay, you did that while the truck is off right?
Yes the truck was off with the key set to the on position. The lights or ballast make a click sound when I turn them on and off too, is it supposed to do that?

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
Very odd.....check the polarity on the plug from the OEM connector. That side isn't working, correct? No matter the bulb or ballast? bet the plug is swapped on the OEM connector then.

On the heads, its testing the capacitor. If the capacitor isn't grounded, it won't work. Also, if the connector is flipped (polarity is FUN), the lights will still work, but the capacitor isn't functioning. Check the polarity and grounds on that.

Don't have the truck on "On", do it with the key out, truck fully off.

You'll hear a click if its dead silent, thats the relay clicking.

OP
OP
C

CTYHNTR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well I tried everything under the sun to try to figure out why this one light wont come on, no dice. So I give up, Im gonna get a set of Morimoto Ballasts and Bulbs, looks like I should not have any problems with those.

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
Though I would love to sell you more stuff, I'd also love to get ya up and running with the parts you have already purchased.

Do me a favor, pop me over an email - [email protected] - and I can look up the order details (as.....hate to say it, I am not sure who you are! LOL) - and I can get it over to my supplier for further troubleshooting and warranty replacement.